October Model Railroader

I was out at Border's this afternoon and noticed that the Oct issue of MR on the newstand has an "attachment" that I didn't get. Anyone know what's in it?
Jim

It's a 14-page "Workbench Guide". Articles are: --The Foundation of a Modeler's Toolbox, --What You Need to Know About Adhesives, --Learning the Art of Soldering, --Changing the Scale of Drawings, --How to Use a Scale Rule, --Step-By-Step Diesel Locomotive Tune-Up, and, --Tools for Scratchbuilding in Brass. Has a few not-bad sidebars, too. Picked it up at the LHS and it was in a sealed plastic bag, just like how the nice folks at Maximum PC do it. (No CD, though!)
By the way, what's a "Borders"? Is it the American equivalent of our Canadian "Chapters"? (Big-box bookstore)
Garth in Ottawa.
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:53:48 -0400, "Garth Allen"

Borders is a big nationwide bookstore chain in America. We also have Barnes & Nobles as another big bookstore chain.
Jim, Its called the "Work Bench Guide". It has sections on basic tools, adhesives, soldering, engine tune up, working with brass, scale conversions and using a scale ruler. Mostly it's information for someone new to the hobby but has some very useful charts and information. Its a nicely done informative little book. Bruce

Bruce Favinger wrote:

Is it exactly, or nearly, the same as the one they sent out last year?
Good Morning All,
Bruce said "Its a nicely done informative little book." I had a chance to see the insert and agree that it was done well. The thing that bothers me......as a subscriber to the magazine......I do not get the insert as MR is now mailed without being sealed in a bag. I realize this may seem petty to some, but last year, decals were included in the mag and again....not for those of us who subscribe. In the case of this and last years inserts, being something I would enjoy having....I guess I will cancel my subscription and just pick the mag at my local train store.
Bob
I picked up a copy last week at Caboose Hobbies in Denver, and it did not include the insert. Howcome?
Bob Boudreau Canada

Drive by Gloat!
Haven't been there for about 7 years. Sigh.

The store removed it so that you wouldn't use it to order your own subscription. They make a profit on each magazine and also on the other merchandise you buy when you're there. If you have your own subscription that's one less magazine they sell each month and one more excuse for you not to come to the store.
This isn't a guess, by the way, I've actually seen the store owner at my own local shop do the same thing.
RWBooneSr.

own
You saw him do it just this past month?
MR's screw the new comers policy at work that is why.

-- The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale November 2, 2003, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at: www.gvrr.org

get
included
enjoy
my
Bob, someone took your decals. Mine were stapled into the binding of the magazine.

Bob - Are you talking about the decals for the Turtle Creek boxcar? These were included in every copy of the magazine, subscriber or LHS. If you are referring to a different set of decals, I never even heard about any such being included in LHS copies over the past year. Clue me in.
CNJ999
I referred to the Turtle Creek decals.
On 15 Sep 2003 14:05:35 GMT, EBTBOB wrote:
=>I referred to the Turtle Creek decals.
They were bound in, so if they were missing from your copy, either someone took them out, or there was a production glitch.
--

Wolf Kirchmeir, Blind River, Ontario, Canada
Or the Turtle Creek is one of UP's trademarks. Bruce

Apologies - I have to correct myself - I did receive the decal inserts back whenever, *but* I did not receive the workbench guide. (well, they say it is the short term memory cells that go first!)
Guess I'll have to see if they'll mail me one.
- Joe