Has this n.g died or what?

The header says it all.

This n.g used to be really active and interesting. Now it's dead.

Guess we can thank the ranting and raving political bunch for that. They must have driven everyone away. :-(

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Don't give up this early. I know I've got a nice pile of projects just waiting for when I get done with my "fall chores." :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I was gonna say -- in response to the middle line above -- "You call all the flame wars, political and religious crap -- 'active and interesting' "???

I agree with you, though, I think a lot of folks got tired of it all, and the lack of model railroad content, that they have either gone elsewhere or just gave up dealing with news groups.

Myself, I've been busy doing some custom painting on some N-scale locos. How I do it with my lousy eyes, I don't know. Maybe I'm fortunate it's a simple paint scheme -- Long Island Rail Road on an H15-44 and also a VO-1000. Solid grey bodies, orange ends and handrails. No fancy work....and use simple alphabet sets for the lettering. Next couple projects will be redoing my RS-1 and RS-3 into LIRR colors.....that ought to keep me busy for a month, with all the paint stripping, etc.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Well, most of us read this ng all the time. I use it from time to time, to respond, to post a relevant question or even to find out about a 1950's show. Everyone responds just nicely.

Have patience. We just went thru the summer and that's a big time slow time for the hobby. Just ask the dealers.

Happy railroading from the U&Irr in Central NY!!!!!

Reply to
Mr Leftie

Yup, get ready for the usual fall ramp-up! David PS good time to put your feet up and have a beer, too early for the (Scotch) whiskey!

Mr Leftie wrote:

Reply to
David P Harris

Roger, I haven't been very active here or on any groups lately. Mostly because any spare time has been spent building a new work shop area in the shed. The old work bench has to be torn down to make way for the rest of the layout. The new workshop is not real big but will be neat when it's done and I've really been getting into building it. Its got a low bench for model work and a high bench for things like the drill press, scroll saw and such. It has fur downs with shelves over the benches for recessed lights that I put in just today and I'll cut and place the drop ceiling clear panels next. Its the same lighting arrangement that I've been installing over the layout. White painted masonite peg board is set on the wall behind each bench along with electrical outlets. A phone line has been run in there so the computer can be set up and connected. The bench tops are stained plywood with a piece of right angle trim to finish the edge that also makes a small lip that hopefully will help prevent little things from rolling off. The tops are held on with screws through metal angels below so they can easily be replaced. So far its turning out good. There were some problems getting everything to level and line up nice because there is not a square surface in the shed. Then I got a cheap laser level and has it ever been helpful. You can shoot a line clear across a room. My tape and bedding is not that great in some spots and has to be fixed up and I have to remove a piece of sheet rock to install some wire for an outlet I forgot about. The floor has to be leveled and floated. I've got some industrial rubber flooring for floor covering that should out last the building. I'm also thinking about installing a window and paint booth on the exterior wall. Why not! I did not originally plan to have anything more than a bench with a light hanging over it. It may be going over board but it will be a pleasant place to work that should help keep things better organized and accessible. Anyway that's my excuse for not participating much these days. I'll bet there are some others out there that are spending more of their free time working on the layout or train related projects and just haven't been checking in as much. And your right too. The various flaming probably did run some folks off. Bruce

"Roger T." wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com...

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

I think everyone has got a belly full of all that stuff, from the US war in Iraq to the Toronto Convention. I am inclined to think that, but for a few, no one wants to talk about any of those topics. This condition is not restricted to rmr though. There seems to generally be a slowdown of communications traffic in all the usenet groups and several email groups to which I belong. Hang around and see what happens, I am going to.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

Well, I'm still here!! Long live On30!!!

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Right on John....long live On30!!!

Bob

Reply to
EBTBOB

I don't think so. It's still the ng with the most number of posts each day of the groups I belong to.

As for the political threads, as soon as one goes that direction, I put in my killfile - never see it again.

There's still lots of good threads going on. Just ignore the minor annoyances.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

I know I'm busier at work these days - I've got 15 projects awaiting me in the garage and no time. Plus girls softball and jr high football (no I don't play them - more of a sponsor...)

That SDP-40 is just going to have to wait. ;)

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

Fall off indeed - 3-4 years ago I'd get 100+ messages a day here. Now it's 50 most of the time.

The political bile hasn't helped, but what I opine is the cause of fall off is the Balkanization of the group fed via mailing lists. The mailing lists allow readers to get to what they want to hear without having to wade thru a lot of stuff that doesn't interest them.

CZ NC

Reply to
Craig Zeni

You obviously don't read rec.woodworking! Several hundred posts a day - and yes quite a few are off-topic, but a lot aren't.

I have noticed a sudden slowdown in this group over the last few days. I checked it on two different news servers and got the same result. Seems to be back to normal today though, I got about 80 posts.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
res0xur8

Good Morning!

You mustn't be on any of those mail lists - lol!

There is just as much garbage if not more than on the ng-s. The nice thing about ng-s is that one can jump from topic to topic and skip those that aren't interesting. With all that mail in the mailbox, it is necessary to open or delete those not wanted first.

Biggest problem both places is lack of change in the Subject-Line.

Waiting for a bus is as thrilling as fishing, with the similar tantalisation that something, sometime, somehow, will turn up. George Courtauld

James B. Holland

? Holland Electric Railway Operation....... "O"--Scale St.-Petersburg Trams Company (SPTC) Trolleycars and "O"--Scale Parts including Q-Car mailto: snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net

? Pennsylvania Trolley Museum

Pittsburgh Railways Company (PRCo), 1930 -- 1950 ? N.M.R.A. Life member #2190;

Jim Holland

In news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com, Roger T. typed: : The header says it all. : : This n.g used to be really active and interesting. Now it's dead. : : Guess we can thank the ranting and raving political bunch for that. : They must have driven everyone away. :-(

I'll delurk for this 'un.

I've not been lurking very long (~1.5 years), & whilst I'm a UK'er, currently planning on 1920's continental N layout, everyday something interesting is posted, even of worth & interest to myself & my personal choice of the layout yet to come. If I had more free time I'd have learnt even more than I have the past few months or so. Although I'm not sure I need to know so much about F7's.

-- ctc Once, I couldn't spell 'engineer'. Now I are one.

Reply to
Crippen

Paul,

Yes I am going to do On30, but not getting rid of my HO scale equipment. Well, unless someone starts doing EBT engines, hoppers, and a caboose in On30. If that happens, there will be HUGH HO sale at my place. Anyway....I am getting ready to do a second level on my railroad. At the top of the helix, I am planning on a wye. The mainline, HO scale will take the right leg of the wye. Everything to the left of the wye will be On30. The two scales will share the track at the rear of the upper level. This track will be hidden by scenery except for a couple of scenery breaks. That means, one time a train appears will be HO and another time could be On30. At the point when the HO scale starts to make its return to the helix, the On30 will continue on to another spot in the basement.

Bob

Reply to
EBTBOB

Would your ranting and raving about Toronto and SARS and calling just about every person on r.m.r "ignorant" at some point of the discussion or another have anything to do with that?

50 messages a day seems like an understatement.

From Google:

of message to rec.models.railroad

August 1994: about 715 messages (average 23 per day) August 1995: " 2370 " (average 76 per day) August 1996: " 2770 " (average 89 per day) August 1997: " 2720 " (average 88 per day) August 1998: " 3610 " (average 116 per day) August 1999: " 4600 " (average 148 per day) August 2000: " 4090 " (average 132 per day) August 2001: " 3960 " (average 128 per day) August 2002: " 4190 " (average 135 per day) August 2003: " 2930 " (average 95 per day)

It makes sense that mailing lists may have that affect. Looking at the trend of the data it seems that things peaked around the year

2000, although the numbers are still scant enough that it may be risky to draw definite conclusions from it.
Reply to
Mark Mathu

"Mark Mathu"

I wasn't "ranting and raving", just pointing out the idiocy of the so called "SARs panic".

I was, in fact, promoting people visiting the Toronto show, not being negative.

I don't think I was ever "calling just about every person on r.m.r "ignorant", though I may have said, or implied, that the scare was caused by ignorance of the real situation".

Besides, the SARs thread was 'on topic' as it concerned attendance at a very important model railway show.

And I stand by everything I wrote at the time. After all, I was right. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Hmmm. Must be that fine Earthlink newserver again, or just as likely my defective memory...

Reply to
Craig Zeni