Captain Kangaroo has died

Of interest to the over 40 crowd in the USA. Captain Kangaroo has died at age 76 Details are here:

..Mr. Green Jeans, Bunny Rabbit, GA.

Reply to
Froggy

He's only 76? He seemed so old back when I watched him as a child. Of course, as I remember it the only part of the show I really liked was when he play with the train. Seems like it was squared oval with a separate single track through the center. A trolley car ran back and forth on the single straight track. All three rail O-gauge stuff, which even as a child (1st grade) thought was rather primitive (both the layout and the three rail track). At the time, I think I was rating layouts in "number of turnouts".

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

The Captain was "old" when I was young, ummmm, some time ago. He was heavily made up.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

over 40? He was on longer than that. I watched him when I was a kid and I'm only 33.

Reply to
me

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Dale Kramer

Ditto that. My wife and I are 34 and remember him as well.

Paul

Reply to
Paul-News

I'm 31...fondly remeber the Captain. I'm all bummed now. :(

-John

*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North American*
Reply to
Ditch

The newspaper said he starated as the Captian in 1955 when he was 28!

I'm 41 and he always seemed old to me. Good make up!

Regards,

DAve

Paul-News wrote:

Reply to
spsffan

How many people remember BEFORE "Captain Kangaroo"?

His first role on TV was as Clarabelle the clown on "Howdy Doody"

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Don, I guess that's the difference between someone who was young "some time ago", and someone who was young "QUITE some time ago". ;-)

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

I too barely remember him as Clarabelle. Of course I didn't know it was him back then. My earliest childhood TV show was 'Ding Dong School'. The host was Miss Francis.

BTW- I have one of the original Mr. Bunny Rabbit puppets. My mother got it by mail order. I think a cereal company sold them.

Reply to
D&Dfan

How awful! She should have shopped at your LBS! (Local bunny shop.)

;-)

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

"Trainman"

Who they hell was Captain Kangaroo anyway?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Of interest to the over 40 crowd in the USA. Roger If you aren't from the USA you aren't expected to know. It's an item of local interest. Bob Keeshan was something of an icon in the USA. There are many who shall mourn his passing.

.............F>

Grandfather Clock, GA

Reply to
Froggy

Well, Roger, either you are still a kid or your folks never had a TV set.

Bob Keeshan, Captain Kangaroo, had a kids TV show on CBS from 1955-1985 and then for 7 years on PBS.

Reply to
wannand

I thought the train layouts were changed over the years. Does anyone know if Classic Toy Trains or O Gauge Railroading ever covered them? I know I'd wait for months just to catch a glimpse of those trains!

Jim

Reply to
Ctyclsscs

wrote

-------------------

Long forgotten until now,

I remember spending several years eagerly awaiting the day I would be old enough to attend 1st grade, until.... that day finally arrived and it dawned on me that attending school would mean missing the second half of Captain Kangaroo.

Who remembers what regular segments of the show I would be missing?

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

Froggy wrote: : Bob Keeshan was something of an icon in the USA. : There are many who shall mourn his passing.

Including me ); I watched the captain every morning for a few years as a kid in the early-to-mid 1960s. It remains my favorite children's show... I can still vividly remember the clever sketches and intriguing film shorts he showed (anyone remember the goonie birds? or the backwards alphabet? or M.A.double-S-A-C-H-U-S-E-double-T-S?). But mostly it was Keeshan's ability to be kind and relate to kids without seeming to be condescending or syrupy. He was educational and promoted kindness, yet he still managed to remain fun and, well, "cool" in the process.

Scott

Reply to
sgordon

Or the Captain just never sailed over the border...

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington