Captain Kangaroo has died

It's a shame that kids today don't have friends like a Captain Kangaroo, or a Mr Rogers. They helped us get through some pretty rough times growing up. The "icons" of todays TV hardly hold a candle to those guys. Violence, sex and greed seems to be all kids see on that stupid "idiot box" anymore. James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Hdgdn

In addition to the ones mentioned, there was Dancing Bear and Grandfather Clock (who always scared me). I might be mistaken, but didn't Tom Terrific (with Manfred his Wonder Dog and the evil Crabby Appleton) air on the Captain's show?

Jim

Reply to
Ctyclsscs

"> > Who they hell was Captain Kangaroo anyway?

Ah, that explains it. By the time I arrived in Canada, other than selected cartoons, I'd stopped watching kids shows. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Yup. And for a while in the 1970s, they imported "Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings" from the UK. I wonder whether "Simon" replaced "Tom"...

I thaink that occasionally they ran pieces of railroad promotional films, too, set to music.

-fm Webmaster, Rails on Wheels, Washtenaw County, Mich.'s HO modular club

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

Well Put James.

I couldnt agree more, I have a 4 yr old son, and TV is missing lots. There is NOTHING on Australian TV that is a spit on the 60/70/80s for safe clean entertainment... The "CARTOONS" and shows of today, leave a lot to be desired.

Even shows like Andy Griffith, and things, the way things were, SIMPLE, but people were happy....

Reply to
Biggus

That explains it.

Every now and then, I have still check out what the kids are watching, I have to keep up with the neices and nephews you know. I don't have any children, I had a son, but lost him when he was 2 years old. My wife cannot have any children, that cancer is a terrible thing. They caught her cancer and she is OK, but no more children.

Where did you grow up and what kids shows did they have?

Reply to
wannand

Sorry to hear about the wife's cancer but I'm glad she's OK now.

UK. Don't really recall what children's shows they had as we never had TV until I was 10 or 12 years old.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Reply to
Dale Kramer

Yes, Tom Terrific was on the show.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

You don't know!?!? Oh boy, look out, Spanky-Wanky will take you to his Tickle Trunk (at least if he can find it under his muu-muu).

Reply to
Steve Caple

Over 40 crowd? He was on CBS until 1985 and then on public TV after that. It would be the over 20 crowd wouldn't it?

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Why was he called Captain Kangaroo?

Reply to
Mark Newton

You wouldn't have missed much.

Reply to
Mark Newton

What do you reckon was so good about Australian television for kids in the period you mention? The content was mostly imported garbage.

Television now is no different to television then - mostly lowest common denominator garbage.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Because he had huge pockets.

This is on a video that I saw on AOL when they had the headline about his death.

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Due to his costume, it was sort of a uniform and hence the Captain part. His coat had numerous pockets and he made reference to a kangaroo's pouch.

Reply to
wannand

... because of the large coat with huge multiple pockets he wore...

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Calling him Captain Pockets would have been too obvious, eh?

Reply to
Mark Newton

Kangaroo is a funny word.

Reply to
Jason Davies

I guess, who knows what they were thinking in 1955

Reply to
wannand