Captain Kangaroo has died

Worked for the kids for some 30 years. The only first run children's program that lasted longer is "Sesame Street" that I know of. "Sesame Street" started around 1966 or so and we were already too old for the target audience by that time.

I have a hard time remembering what it was all about but I can remember the name. In the early 1960s we had "Captain Kangaroo" and "Romper Room" as our non-cartoon, pre-kindergarten viewing programs in Wichita, Kansas. Both originally started out as B/W programming.

Mr. Greenjeans passed away in the early 1980s I think. That and CBS's (?) idea to go for more "exciting" programming is what finally did him in on national television. I do believe that "exciting" meant trashy violence.

No matter how funny the name, the level (or quality) of programming of "Captain Kangaroo" has not been matched to this day. Unless we think that programs like "Barney," "Wiggles," or "Teletubbies" rise to the same level. I have one son that is pre-K and watches all three of these shows. They are all fairly good in their own right. But I would have rather them watch the

60's programming as it was more realistic.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

I only paid attention to the show when the trains were on. That was, for me, back in the early - mid 1960's. Now I'm 50!

Someone else mentioned Ding Dong School with Miss Francis (who may be still alive as I saw her on TV within the past year or two, but she looked to be well into her 80's.)

Don't forget Romper Room, Paul Winchell(sp?) and Jerry Majoney (with Knucklehead Smif), Soupy Sales, Three Stooges, The Blue Fairy, Kukala, Fran & Ollie, Garfield Goose, Bozo the Clown, Dick Tracy, plus numerous cartoons -- geez, no wonder I turned out weird!

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Formerly of Chicago)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

Yeah, it's not like he had a court.

Reply to
Steve Caple

anyone know if

I know I'd wait

That was,

may be

she

(with

Kukala,

You forgot 'Crusader Rabbit' and his adventures on the artificial planet Munimula (that's aluminum spelled backwards).

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

I never watched Captain Kangaroo, but I remember Clarabelle, and I remember hearing that Clarabelle became Captain Kangaroo.

Back in the days before every house had one or more TV sets all the kids in the neighborhood would gather at the one house that had a TV. We'd lie on the floor and watch Howdy Doody. That was followed by Captain Video, Tom Corbet - Space Cadette, and maybe Hopalong Cassidy westerns. The screen was about 9" or 10", round with the top and bottom flattened to make a sort of oval. After the kid's shows, we'd leave and go home.

It's interesting that in the early days, TV brought people together into a social situation. Now it tends to isolate people from each other. Everybody has their own TV fantasy world.

Reply to
<wkaiser

I read in the Milwaukee paper that Ray Rayner, long a morning kids show icon on WGN-TV (Chicago) and one of the clowns on WGN's Bozo, died two days earlier.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Is it?

Reply to
Mark Newton

Same reason Beethoven and a Zamboni were recurring themes in the "Peanuts" comic strip. They were funny words.

Peter king in NY

Reply to
Peter King

Stay tuned for the Secret Origin Issue revealing how Hopalong Cassidy got his name!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Somebody else who remembers Tom Corbet !!!

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Hysterical.

Reply to
Mark Newton

In "cartoons" specifically "Looney Tunes" I see a big difference. The cartoons I watched as a child were the "shorts" originally made for the movie theater, to be shown before the main event. These were really made by-and-for adults and just happen to appeal to the children audience because they were animated and had simple plots. The children never caught the more subtle humor and background jokes that the adults understood. I find many of the funnier now than I did as a child.

Not to mention the old cartoons were produced with a few more frames per second (forget the exact number 7 then vs. 5 today?) giving them a smoother look. Although 95% of the population can't tell the difference.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

They might have thought Kangaroo had a higher laugh factor or that name might have already been taken. As I understand it, from an acquaintance who is a clown, all professional clowns register their name, face paint, and costume with the guild. Sort of an internal self governing copyright kind of thing.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

In Wichita - early 60s? Then you probably remember "Major Astro" also. For everyone else, he had an afternoon show from 4-5 that mostly just played cartoons, but occasionally other skits and educational things. I once entered one of his contests with a "mobile" showing the phases of the moon.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

I completely agree. The Warner Brothers animated shorts are still about the funniest things I've ever seen. Chuck Jones and company produced works of lasting quality.

But sadly, for every classic Looney Tune, there's a Scooby Doo...

Reply to
Mark Newton

period you mention? The content was mostly imported garbage. So what do you call quality TV? I grew up on Looney Tunes etc, I turned out ok... I also didnt go around bashing old ladies like kids do now...

denominator garbage. Agree.

Reply to
Biggus

*shudders*... yea watching Scooby now with my son, it really is pathetic, but as a kid, its all good, colors, and its a 'cartoon'.. But as a parent, letting him watch Cartoon network just aint going to happen. I downloaded 70 Looney tunes etc off Kazaa and Packetnews.com and burnt them to CD, he watches them when hes been a good kid.
Reply to
Biggus

I don't. Quality TV is an oxymoron. Commercial broadcasting exists purely to flog product like tampons and dogfood, any worthwhile programs they screen are purely incidental to the main game. As far as my childhood TV viewing goes, I can barely recall anything at all that I feel nostalgic about, let alone that I would want to watch again.

Is there are connection between the two?

Reply to
Mark Newton

Yes I do, Channel 3 NBC(KSN?) (I remember KSN-NBC, KAKE-ABC, KBS-CBS, and later ?-PBS) I think, He always wore that space suit, never the helmet and set behind a desk during the show fiddling with a dial on a wall mounted TV (?) screen. He always took the helmet off at the very beginning. Was the show set on the moon? or a space station. That I do not remember. That was what...? The mid-60s. I know they had contests but do not remember entering any on his show but one of us may have. I know that we used to win something for free tickets at Joyland park on South Hillside. Of course the park offered free ride tickets for good report cards too.

Getting back to the thread title, Where was Captain Kangaroo based out of? I always thought he was local to us. But I guess not.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

Look at what modern kids do for "fun"... rob old ladies and shit like that, we didnt... Its all to do with environment they are brought up with..

Reply to
Biggus