OT-Of interest to all

Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

Gunner

Gunner

Thanks, Gunner. I am almost of that generation, and I live within 60 miles of San Antonio. I might meet that very same Dr. some day, and I would feel much better to know how he feels. Again, thanks. James R. Johnson

Reply to
JRJohnson

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A touching page that every american should see.

Reply to
Anthony

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nice link. I began to notice that the WWII vets were dieing off about ten years ago. The Trib puts a little American flag next to the obituaries of vets. Somedays 2/3 of the obits had flags. I'm just glad that I got into the biz before these guys retired. I learned a lot about the trade from them as well as a lot about the war. Truly deserving of the title "The Greatest Generation."

Reply to
D Murphy

Thanks for the link.

My brother in law served in the Navy in the Pacific during WW2. He passed on last year. A kinder gentler man never lived.

Most of my teachers and other adult figures while I was growing up were WW2 vets. They imparted a way of thinking to all of us that I don't see getting passed on to younger generations. They will have to find their own way just as the vets did. May they be as successful.

-- W§ mostly in m.s -

Winston Smith

Just a month ago, I saw a soldier in BDU's and his wife go up to the counter in a local Mexican restaurant. After they had ordered their food an older gentleman simply walked up and told the cashier that he was paying.

The older gentleman didn't ask where the soldier was serving, what he did, or any other questions. The only words from the older gentleman to the soldier was "Thank you, son" Then he went on his way.

It is nice to see our military folks get some credit for their efforts. I'm not a fan of the Iraq war but support the efforts our troops put out in their various endevours.

Next time is MY turn to buy!

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

D Murphy wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Thankyou , a very moving site . Sheerluck

Reply to
sheerluck holmes

Good one Gunner. It really is a sad thought that that generation truly is almost gone from us. We need to let them know we won't forget them and all they've done.

Reply to
Roedy's Master

Corny but quite true. Fewer and fewer each day.

One of my longest-standing regrets will be that my grandfather did get a salute at his burial. He was in france with the AEF. He's on the left in this shot:

I still have the whistle that's clipped to his epaulet. Note the cool tractor in the background, complete with CCl4 fire extinguisher, kerosene marker lights, and what I *think* is an acetylene searchlight.

But he really did deserve a flag and a salute.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Obviously supposed to read, "did NOT"

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Great link Gunner! If anyone would like to make a difference, besides just words, here are three links where they could be of service to the guys and girls in our military. There's a great group of young Americans serving for us.

For the Marine Corps:

those wounded:
all the Military:
Before anyone asks....YES, I do. On a regular basis to all three groups. Even if I might do a little more for the first group, since I have a stronger connection there.

Semper Fi!

John

Reply to
John

I saw mention in the SF Chronicle yesterday of a 107 year old WW I vet who lives in Western Australia. The article was about Gallipoli. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Australia now only has 3 WWI Vets still alive.

Reply to
Terry Collins

Gunner,

Great site, as mentioned above they were definately the Greatest Generation.

One of the local TV stations participated in The Veterans History Project, a videography of sort for any and all Veterans. The stories are to be housed in The Library of Congress, there are sure to be some very interesting tales in there. The addy is

Regards, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts