DECKEL #KF12 PANTOGRAPH

I see a DECKEL #KF12 PANTOGRAPH for $895 in my local used machinery Disneyland. What is it and what can it do?

here's a link:

Tom Gardner

Buy it! RushRush! Don't ask!

It is a Deckel. :-) No, you can make engravings (3D) and enlarge/reduce the size. Good for making dies by copying a master. You would have pay several thousands for it.

Never used one.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

It turns large patterns into small ones. :)

Basically it's a tracer mill that lets change the scale of your part. We used to use one to engrave numbers and letters into our mold cavities.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Tom, It's a steal. This model will do one to one copying as well as up to four to one if it has the original attatchments.The ratio arm is the slotted thing in the upper right. When you lock the spindles it's one to one. Parts and manuals are all avaliable. They will cost you but at this price it would be worth it. New today, you would have to pay at least 100K for one of these. I had one in 1976 and paid $45,000 for it then.

You would need something to cut with it though. And a guy to run it. Get an SOE cutter grinder if you decide to buy it. You will want to make most of your own cutters from split carbide balnks and solids.

Reply to
J. Carroll

Really?

Once CNC's hit our shop, the pantagraph set in the corner and gathered dust.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I have to copy 32 pieces that are 1/4" cold-roll plate. The pieces are cam sections, 8 sections to a cam, that when assembled onto a cast iron wheel are about 3' in diameter. The wheel has an 18" bore so, each of the identical eight sections looks like a truncated triangle with the base being the pattern to reproduce and each pattern is different. Each cam has

104 positions on it, they look like little, ramped steps. Originally we made the parts on a CNC mill but the mill was in my friend's basement and he has moved away and not set-up anymore. I just want to duplicate a total of 32 of these sections, or four cams exactly. I could saw them out on a band saw and hand file. I want +/-.005" I could probably get the G-code but it is highly bastardized for his mill and style. Any cost-effective suggestions?

Use a Pantograph?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

They cost above 5000 EUR here.

_If_ you have CNC. And the KF12 still will be quicker when you have a homebrew CNC. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for that prize.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Hey Tom,

For capabilities of different models, have a peek at:

They each had different specific purposes, and not all will do "tracing" or "copying". I beleive that the KF12 is a true pantograph, and will not do 1:1 ratio. If you needed 1:1, you did a 1:1.5 model, then a 1.5:1 copy.

I do think it does 3-D though, but I'm not sure, and the explanation of what 3-D in a pantograph means is beyond me of course. These are extremely fine pieces of machinery, epsecially the older ones, and are/were the Rolls-Royce of the industry but are losing out to CNC for sure.

for manuals.

Go buy it, if it runs. Consumables are available.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I dont use my Gorton 3-Z very often..but when I need it..its handier than thumbs.

Gunner

Gunner

If you have CNC? You mean some people don't? :)

I have 3 mills, a 4 axis lathe, and a CNC EDM. I may be the most well equipped single man shop in the world. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

On the old pantagraph we used, you could set up a pattern above or below the stylas to cause Z moves too. That is your 3rd "D". Ours was a much lighter looking machine than the one in the picture. Small cutters (under 1/8") were sometimes difficult to control, and surface finish could suffer greatly. Larger cutters weren't even considered.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

So, that's what stuck in my brain! I have made one set with a band saw aqnd

1" belt sander, took 2 weeks of pecking away at it. I'll go see this machine.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

ah..Tom? I mentioned pantograph about 3 months ago when we discussed this over the phone. Along with "tracer mill"

sigh..buy em books, send em to school and all they do is eat the teacher....

Gunner

Gunner

I had no idea what you were talking about, I'd never heard of what the thing is. Now I see! And, as far as eating the teacher...they don't MAKE enough garlic and you're too old and sinewy.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hey Tom, this thing looks like a Gortner Engraver on steroids. It is listed at about the same prices as I paid for a worse conditon Gortner back in 1960, and the Gortner was usefor anything beyond engraving belt buckles and nameplates

This machine looks robust enough to use as a vertical mill. Check out the weight though, because this sucker looks heavy. Still, if your in this area and cost of shipping is not a major factor, the price really sounds like a bargain.

Harry C.

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

Reply to
hhc314

I was thinking more along the lines of Mary Jo Phillips, the art teacher in the high shool I gradated from. She wouldnt boof a student..but the moment you got your diploma..you were fair game. It was said at the time..that "a diploma was your path to college, a good job and Mary Jo"

Rather delectable lil gal too. Slurp!!

Oral Roberts..er..Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:27:09 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I some times wonder about you , Gunner, you and your oral fixation.

Hmmm, maybe you really are "Gummer" :-)

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

In my final year of secondary school, we got a replacement French teacher, a cute Scottish gal four years older than the youngest student in the class. Did you ever try to speak French with a very broad Scottish accent? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Teeth..are handy for nibbling those "delicate" areas.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

My high school Latin teacher loved to point out that those of us who had Mrs. Goodman in middle school all spoke Latin with a southern drawl.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons