Gorton Pantograph 3D Of interest

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%81094308&category 584
This is a 3D pantograph, very useful for tracing and making multiple
parts from a pattern. I dont think the seller knows what it is or really doesnt care
Gunner
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"
Hey Gunner,
Looks like it was used in a salt plant!! And I don't see the required stuff for it to be 3D either, but I'm not sure about that. And if I'm not mistaken, because that's a pantograph, probably the lowest ratio of model to part will be about 1.2:1, either larger or smaller. I don't think that this one can do 1:1. It can't make a duplicate copy of say a broken part, because the part would come off either larger or smaller than the "model". But it will have a fairly high speed spindle that if it is any good is worth somewhat more than the $1.50 bid at the moment,eh!!
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell,, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I saw the auction ad the other day, it's local so I looked close at the pics, and concur that I don't see any provision for pantographic work in the third dimension.
However, if you're looking for a tracing mill, the same seller has one. It appears to have much less rust.
Paul K. Dickman
Brian Lawson wrote in message ...

Most pantographs IIRC, will do 1:1. If you will notice, both the tracing and cutting spindles are spring loaded..which is only a feature on Gorton 3D pantographs. The P2-3 has an overarm with does the actual raising and lowering of the cutting spindle, and if you look closely at the pictures, both elements have the attachment brackets at the top of each. A bar of flat stock shouldnt be a problem to fabricate.
The beasty has been sitting for sometime..lol. Did you notice the shipping weight? Gurk!!
Gunner

"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"
Gunner wrote in message ...

Ahhh! I get it. The attaches to the stylus and the top of the base, with the cutting spindle riding along in between. So the ratio of the distance from the cutting spindle to the pivot point to the distance from the stylus to the pivot point, controls the enlargement in that axis.
Darn, it's still too big for my basement.
Paul K. Dickman

snip--
At the request of Doug, who is having problems connecting with RCM, and has requested I post this message:
Gents,
The pantograph in question is a Gorton 3L, not the successor P2-3. No true 3d pantograph will do 1:1, it is a mechanical impossibility. The Deckel KF die sinkers will allow copying at 1:1, but not with the pantograph. The weight listed is low Iirc. This pantograph has a ratio of 2:1, to 8:1 reduction.
Regards,
Doug
Doug knows his stuff where pantographs are concerned.
Harold
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:02:33 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

Cool. So it IS a 3d unit. As I thought from looking at it.
So why wont they do a 1:1? Not arguing..really wondering since I got the 3-Z and havent used it yet.
Gunner
" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age... I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity, bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity, fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We *assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation to keep the State out of the church business, we've destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*. Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives