Desmond-Stephan vise?

I managed to scrounge up a Desmond Stephan vise.

4.5" wide jaws, throat about 6" deep and will open about 12"

Facing the vise, it is marked Desmond Stephan on the right side, and Simplex on the left. A couple of things Ive never seen before (which is not surprising)...When I cleaned it up, removed the jaws etc..I found a hardened steel pin in the center of each jaw, recessed into the face of the jaws in a hole. What the heck are these used for?

The second thing is below the jaws, are two bolts sticking out the right side. Square heads and dont do anything. One was missing, so I replaced it with a cap screw, just to fill the hole. Again..what the heck are these for?

This is an interesting vise, no "anvil" flat on the back and a very high set of jaws. It has to weight at least 70lbs.

I know absolutely dick about vises. I found the manufacturer on the net, but they indicate they sold their vise divison to Ridgid in 1961.

Anyone have any info on this? Just curious is all. Did I get my $10 worth?

Gunner

"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

Reply to
Gunner

What you've got sounds like a Simplex Sheet Metal Worker's Vise, are the jaws 2" deep? Shipping weight is given as 80 lb.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The removable jaw plates are around 1.5" or so in height.

Gunner

"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

Reply to
Gunner

I was going to post a pic buy but your interest appears rather tepid..

Reply to
Tom

If you have a pic, please email it to me. The addy is valid. Or I can do the reverse. While Im not a viseophile, this one is of some interest.