Xmas Gift for a Friend

With some wood I found in a dumpster and a metal clothes dryer door found next to a recycle bin I made a gift for a friend. See it here:

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Hey! Very nice job!

Gunner

"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

Reply to
Gunner

Hi Larry,

I'd like to be your friend!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nice!

Suggestion and plea: don't stain cherry! Even after finishing it develops a depth of color over time that no stain could ever match.

My dad made a dining room set and buffet out of solid cherry in the '40's. When he died in 1965 it had already attained a beautiful color. My sister got the furniture when he died, sanded it down and refinished it in the '80s. I coulda killed her, but it may have again attained that color by now.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Lawrence, Nice job on gift and remaining pages. Looks like you are of like mind. I could make something from that. Got to save it. My pet peeve: Can't walk through garage without knocking something down. Cast my own oar locks for home built boat. Just finished metal lathe, built from scratch. Famous last words: Took longer than I thought! Presently trying to figure out how to make pottery glazes from local material. Cheers, Pete Seattle

Reply to
Pete Wolcott

Hey Larry,

Very nice. And your web pages are well done too. Easy to read.

3 dozen #0 blades seems a bit excessive, although I doubt I could even DO what you've done, so I'm really not much of a judge. But it does occur to me that a power scroll saw and a die filer machine would look good on your work bench, and be very useful for future projects of this style. And a handy guy like you can no doubt make yourself a nice little engraving machine, just to top off the job as you have suggested.

Take care.

Brian Laws>With some wood I found in a dumpster and a metal clothes dryer door found

Reply to
Brian Lawson

You're very kind. I've got a new camera and software so I can improve my web page images and, at the present, they are taking time away from my crafting.

The metal I was cutting was about 19 gauge steel( about 1/32 ") and the blade is stressed. I buy the blades several gross at a time.

Oh, but having the machine do all the work takes away from all that good therapy. You know, the Zen of using a jeweler's saw.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote