HF Propane Bottle Refill Kit

Picked this up some time ago, but found when trying to refill the 16OZ bottles from the 30# one, the bottle would not fill much over 4OZ or so, even with the 30# bottle inverted. Just discovered that if you leave the bottles connected and inverted overnight the small bottle will fill completely. Only took 2 years to discover this.... JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

Make sure the small cylinder is empty before starting. Connect the bottles, and invert the supply above the target so liquid will flow immediately when the valves are opened.

If the target bottle has a valve, open it first. Then open the supply.

Initial expansion and boiling of the LP will chill the target bottle, keeping its internal pressure below that of the supply. As long as liquid flows, the condition is self-sustaining, at least for about a 75%-80% fill.

If you equalize the pressures first, then invert the supply, the chilling action will never occur.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If you're using scales when you fill, stick the target bottle in the freezer for a few hours before filling. Be careful though, this can cause you to overfill the bottle.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

You can start the flow perty quick by pulling up on the safety pop-off valve with a pr. of needlenosed pliers---may have to tap on it lightly to reseal after filling. DON'T LOOK AT IT while you're pullin on it--Yaotto wear safety glasses anyhow.

Reply to
jerry wass

And put your cigarette out. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I have been trying to fill my small (10 lb I think ) camper tank from a B-Q size ( 35 lb ? ) and the new ones, triangular valve handle, dosent want to dump liquid. I have been wondering if it was due to the new float "thingy" in them. Maybe if it is left invertd long enough it will fill. Leakage past the problem device. ??? If I could have found a new tank that would fit the holder I would have gotten one but the new ones dont come in the right configuration. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:46:27 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dave Lyon" quickly quoth:

Shhhhhhhh! (Let Darwin do his thing, eh?)

- DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire.

Larry Jaques

I have a OPD (triagular valve nob)on my boat BBQ tank. I fill the small torch bottles all the time so I don't think the float is the problem in you situation.

My experience and opinion, FWIW.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You can't invert most OPD tanks and get a flow. But you _can_ lay them down horizontally, with the float on top, and they'll work. You can even lay them at a declining angle toward the valve, so long as the OPD float is on top. It takes some fiddling some times to figure which way is "up" for the tank.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Greetings Lloyd, I recently transferred all the propane liquid from a 20 lb tank with the OPD valve. I held the tank completely inverted during transfer. The OPD valve did not prevent the propane from draining out of the tank. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Great. Glad you could.

LLoyd