HF Cordless Drill Batt recharging

As some of you may have found out the hard way, HF charging bases for the cordless drills do not have charge sensing circuitry or timer. Leave it plugged in too long, and the battery gets fried. I use this:

on sale for 3-4 bucks at the stores. You set up the base/timer, Plug it in, Set it, And...Forget it! No more overcharged batteries. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

Yes and note that most household timers offered in the box stores don't accept three-prong plugs but this one does.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

How long do you set it to charge?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:28:35 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "David R. Birch" quickly quoth:

ONe more question: Doesn't it immediately start discharging when the charger is turned off by the timer?!?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What? A few picoamps of leakage through the diodes? The battery will self discharge faster.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I get around that by splitting a duplex receptacle - feed power to one receptacle - thru timer to short two wire (polarized) cord feeding the other receptacle into which the load is plugged. OTOH, Noma has a nice, digital unit, but I loses it's program if the power goes off. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller