HF Inline Sander Mods

Snagged this on sale for $22.00 to continue the bodywork on my Datsun Roadster. The first one lasted 10 minutes, when the sled(bottom pad/paper carrier) became detached from the drive plate. Turned out, it's just thin aluminum, attached with one wimpy 6mm screw/locknut at each end. The Gomer who assembled the unit did not tighten the screws well, allowing them to rock slightly through the holes in the aluminum sled. They quickly hogged them out, to where the screw heads just pulled through the sled, and it became detached. I returned it under warranty and got another. I modified the sled mount by using 2 1/4-20 X1" bolts, lock washers, lock nuts, and 1/4" flat fender washers under the heads. Force the washers at an angle into the holes in the rubber pad, to where they contact the aluminum plate. Rock them around until they cut under the glued pad, and center over the screw holes. Insert the bolts through the pad, and attach the drive plate with the lock nuts and thin Chinese lock washers under them. Force a 7/16" thin wall socket into the pad holes to hold the bolt heads, and tighten the crap out of the lock nuts. I've got 2 hours into the new one; no sign of loosening or failure. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North