Michael Deckel Machine Question...

One of the local shops I send my business to is owned by a friend. He is always amazed that I am able to dig up answers to questions even though I have much less experience and head-knowledge than he does. I keep telling him how powerful and helpful the newsgroups are, but he just doesn't have time or the will to come join this or the RCM group.

So... He asked me to try and solve a problem he is having. He owns a Michael Deckel brand machine. It is a five axis tool grinding machine. Model S18PCNC-5.

Apparently, he bought the machine and now he can't get support at a logical price for the software... They want a huge sum of money to simply get him up and running... Something like 250% of the price he paid for the machine itself.

So... His challenge to me was to find someone who knows something about the software who might be able to help him. I'm a drilling guy so I couldn't even tell him where the start button is... But I told him someone here or over at RCM would probably know the circuitry of the internal boards by heart.

Anyone able to help? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Joe, I'll bite - reluctantly... This is an older machine. One reason GTI might want a pretty penny to get him up to speed is that they will have to upgrade his software. The latest release runs on XP and it's no doubt what is supported. There are also likely to be hardware issues involved and that would add to the cost. I seem to recall that the software is a proprietary system built on the OpenMind engine. The interface is all Deckel and it's an integral part of the control.

Your friends best bet is to find someone locally, or not, that has one and pay them for training.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Good information. I'll pass it on to him.

...Because of your "reluctantly" comment above, I assume you are not available for long-distance questions directly from him? The guy is sharp and runs a number of CNC machines in his shop daily. If you know someone who could give him some time for some questions, I'm sure he could figure out what direction to go on his own after that... Know any contacts who have knowledge of the machine / software?

Thank you for the response.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Have him call my office if you like. 310-539-1910. I was reluctant because of my own lack of experience with this. I don't wamt yor buddy going off on a wild goose chase trying to set G50 on the ting ya' know :>) LOL

I wouldn't be surprised if the two of us could locate the resource he needs. GTI USA is the imported/Reseller in the states. I'd hazard a guess that Kirk Gordon could also fill in a few cracks on this.

NP Joe.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Thank you. Much appreciated. I'll forward the info to him.

It is amazing the knowledge base that can be found in newsgroups. I frequent about a dozen... And between this group, RCM and a local motorcycle riders club newsgroup, I can usually learn just about anything I need. The surprising thing is that the motorcycle group is usually the best one to ask in because it has a few thousand active members and the base is very diverse and global.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I'll reply to myself to make this easier...

Apparently, he has the software but is looking for tips on using it properly. He may or may not call and/or visit the group in the next few days. He has run some basic routines but from what I understand (and that could be less than nothing in some folks' eyes), he says the software defaults to the max settings, etc.

Oh well. Let's see how it develops.

Thank you again for the responses.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I know Kaydon Ring&Seal in Baltimore has one. Call 410 547 7700 and ask for Greg Enders, he may give you a lead

Good Luck Tom

Reply to
cncfixxer

Thank you. I'll pass that information on.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill