Gadfly

Gadfly, n

1) A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance. 2) One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad. 4) Any of various flies, especially of the family Tabanidae, that bite or annoy livestock and other animals.

Source; The American Heritage=AE Dictionary

gadfly n

1: a persistently annoying person [syn: pest, blighter, cuss, pesterer]

2: any of various large flies that annoy livestock

Source: WordNet =AE 2.0, =A9 2003 Princeton University

gadfly n

1) Cliff

Source: alt.machines.cnc

brewertr
1) A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance. 2) One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad. 4) Any of various flies, especially of the family Tabanidae, that bite or annoy livestock and other animals.

Source; The American Heritage® Dictionary

gadfly n

1: a persistently annoying person [syn: pest, blighter, cuss, pesterer]

2: any of various large flies that annoy livestock

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

gadfly n

1) Cliff

Source: alt.machines.cnc

Of course you realize that this IS his objective!

Reply to
paul

.> ( absolutely nothing worth reading )

Welcome to my killfile.

Reply to
PrecisionMechanicaL

You just kill filed one of the top lathe men in the country.

Reply to
Michael

Perhaps.....and so ???

Cluttering the newsgroup certainly being a valid issue...but one's further cluttering it by complaining about the clutter is another entirely.

Reply to
PrecisionMechanicaL

You all still got me. . .my lathe is cutting axles now. As in this minute.

I hope second shift is still there! ;)

wd Modest lathe guy

Reply to
William D. Green

Does it appear hat higher gasoline prices are driving the market for rolling stock yet to you? Just curious.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Sometimes you have to wade through manure to find the diamonds, that's what makes diamonds so valuable.

Tom

Precisi>

Reply to
brewertr

I'm with PM. Starting threads about trolls plays right into the hands of the trolls. It serves only to add noise, not substance.

As for kill filing, I bit-bucket *everything* posted from google groups so I never saw the original anyway...

Reply to
Black Dragon

SVL:

Sounded to me like Tom was trying to be a positive influence in the group, by pointing out the behavior of disruptive influences. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reply to
BottleBob

Our market was up a bit before gas prices went up. I would say it is just a very little better now. I think the only thing that may get hurt is long distance trucking that is not overly time sensative.

wd

Reply to
William D. Green

That is what I was thinking. As fuel continues to rise we might see a resurgence in rail transport for both goods and people. That would be something after what has been happening for the last 50 years in the rail industry.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Thinking maybe I sometimes see humour where it's escaped others....for instance, the irony of one's further cluttering the newsgroup....in complaining about someone else's complaining of someone else having initially cluttered it..

Sorry, guess I just couldn't resist the urge....

Reply to
PrecisionMechanicaL

Judging by the ( more or less ) constant activity along the tracks below my place, I would think that mainline rail traffic is likely already at or near saturaturation along many corridors.

Reply to
PrecisionMechanicaL

Business for the railroads has been at record levels for a number of years.

You are correct. . .there are meltdowns from time to time around major centers. Houston is a big one. When the UP melted a few years back in Hugetown there was a train in every siding from the to Los Angeles. Also affected all along the Gulf and screwed things up royaly up to Chicago.

There have been minor ones since.

wd

Reply to
William D. Green