Persistent VirusScan

I just installed SW04. I DID remember to disable my McAfee VirusScan software. Right in the beginning of the install procedure, I needed to re-boot to complete the installation of the Window$ In$taller ?!? OK, so I did that. Upon re-booting I noticed that my McAfee icon was red again- that meant that my VirusScan was enabled again after the re-boot. Before continuing, I disabled again and continued my install. All seemed to go well.

Then I started SW2004. My VirusScan was still disabled , but that didn't seem to bother it much. A few seconds after starting SW2004, my Virus warning window opened up to tell me that the program SolidWorks 2004 was running suspicious script and was being stopped. I clicked the button to "continue what I was doing" and the window popped right up again. It stayed closed the second time. I repeat that I THOUGHT I had disabled it, but it still intruded on me in this way.

Has anybody else seen this? Did it continue every time you started SW?? Did it seem to cause any conflicts when enabled and running SW??? Should I flush McAfee and go out and buy Norton????

Thank you in advance for any insights or suggestions.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

I've seen McAfee wreak havoc with lots of applications in the past couple of years. I used to use it exclusively, but I gave it up. It's too bad that such a valuable tool is cause for so many problems now, most likely because of cost-cutting. Norton AV doesn't seem to suffer the same degradation in quality . . . but just let the current economic picture get a little worse and you may not be able to rely upon it either.

'Spork'

John Kreutzberger wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Yes

Yes

Did it seem to cause any conflicts when enabled and running SW???

No

Not sure about that!

I had to disable the "Script Protection" feature. I forget exactly what it's called, but that did the trick. Of course I'm not protected from malicious scripts now. Yeah, I'd like to hear some thoughts on this myself.

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Now I had seen that someone posted before about having Performance E-mail enabled causing funny things to happen. It may only have been that Outlook came up with a message that another app was requesting your e-mail. But if you don't have outlook I don't know what would happen.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

John,

Don't go out and buy Norton just yet. I disabled Norton while installing

2004 and get such a message during installation of eDrawings. I just let the script file run once and all seems to be OK. Though I don't understand why Norton is checking in the background even though "disable auto protect" is off?

Is it possible this is a Windows XP background check?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

It seems to me that the makers of AntiVirus software make it very difficult, complicated, and even impossible to fully disable their software either temporarily or permanently. Usually there are multiple options that need to be changed to disable the antivirus functions.

I want a STOP ALL ANTIVIRUS button... are you listening McAfee, Norton, AVG....

Of course if the antivirus utilities worked as they should, they should not affect the operation of 'normal' programs and disabling it would be unnecessary. Or maybe it is a fault of SWX?

Reply to
Arlin

Actually It is good that it takes a bit to shut down antivirus (though it really shouldn't affect a legit program like it does) I noticed that some of the worms that have been traveling around the web actually try to shut down antivirus protection.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

we use norton with in house network update on all of our computer. i have never had to disable it during install or any other time. it has never caused a problem with solidworks or any other application. mabey its time for people with solidworks to switch over.

Reply to
Sean Phillips

I thought that was it, but when I checked my settings, performance e-mail is not checked.

What is really interesting is that now when I open SW03, I get the same message. I never saw it before loading 04.

I guess I just need to make an extra click every time I open SW.

Thanks SW ; Thanks McAfee ; Thanks Bill Gate$..........

Reply to
John Kreutzberger