Retro a lathe

Can lathes be retrofitted? Never heard one done.

Reply to
LawrenceGeo

I had a Graziano retrofitted with a Bandit control. Have also seen a few Hardinge toolroom lathes retrofitted with a Bandit control.

Reply to
Garlicdude

Any idea how much is that or if it can be done by just following a manual without much prior knowledge?

Reply to
LawrenceGeo

The Hardinge lathes were done buy the shop people as far as I know. My Graziano was done by a retrofitter.

If your interested this guy is Mr. Bandit, Len Albright. He has a Bandit compatable control called Shadow, and lots of Bandit spares. I know he sells package deals on mills cabled and ready to go. I can't see why he wouldn't sell a lathe package and you provide the brackets and other hardware mods etc. You would also have to wire any M functions that you might want like coolant or the like. Adding a turret becomes expensive so I would recommend Aloris type tool holders.

I retrofitted a Brown&Sharpe grinder with one of these controls, but had a tech do the electrical/electronic stuff.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

PrecisionMechanicaL

Never heard of Omniturn!?

They are made to fit onto any older Hardinge, plus they can work up a custom mount for some other older lathes.

Reply to
Tom Accuosti