Survey: CAM Lathe Coordinates

To All:
    In another thread Cliff said: "AFAIK All CAD/CAM systems use the XY CAD plane for simple lathe work & the posts just use the proper word
addresses in their output."
    Now Gibbs uses the X,Z coordinate system to create geometry and program toolpaths for lathes. And from a MasterCam textbook I have it seems it also uses the X,Z coordinate system to create lathe programs.     I was just curious as to what other CAM programs use the X,Z coordinate system to program lathes.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

The CAM tools we write for diamond turning of optical surfaces normally work in the G18 plane, that is X,Z.
Quoting RS-267: "The Z axis of motion is parallel to the principal spindle of the machine"
--
jeff

BottleBob wrote on 5/2/2006 :

I'm taking a risk here but maybe Cliff was wrong? (It happens to the best of us and the others too)

Esprit and Partmaker use X/Z. They can also program "Y" but in the traditional sense not as in Cliff's imagined scenario.
Swiss Pro and Meister Pro also use X/Z, with the "Y" being the vertical plane used for off center milling.
--

Dan

Quid Aere Perennius

Since when do you pay any attention to what Cliff says? Haven't you PLONK'ed him yet?
Bob,
Dare you question our little gadfly? You are risking years of gadfly cyberstalking.
Maybe gadfly meant to say AFLAC CAD/CAM uses X,Y for lathes.....LOL (hint to gadfly, duck).
Sad truth is Cliff's anti social personality disorder just will not allow him to admit he made a mistake.
Tom
BottleBob wrote:

brewertr wrote:

Tom, If you have your newsreader mark all of his posts *AS READ* upon downloading new messages, you won't know he is here. I have not seen anything from him nor the other cross posting kooks in a long time. I did bag about six more new cross poster kooks last week. Remember, kooks are only visible if you allow them to be. I nuked him for good this time, and now he is no more. Michael :)
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

Come to think of it, Edgecam's default ZX design mode is 2D. You can only draw in the ZX plane. This can be changed to 3D if desired.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Bob,
Mastercam uses D,Z
I just created a revolved shape in Mastercam in the XY plane, the X being coaxial with the axis of revolution. I then opened the part in Mastercam lathe and it came in oriented the right way. Mastercam Lathe had tranposed the X into the Z, and the Y into X (or "D" diameter).
Now that I think about it, whenever I create a Solidworks parasolid for lathe, I always create an auxiliary coordinate system, in the X-Y, with the X coaxial to the axis of the part, and the Y pointing up. I generate the parasolid relative to this coordinate system. When I bring it into MC lathe, it's in position.
Maybe this is what he meant
Mark