Greenlee hole punch 2" - anyone got one?

Hi all -

Does anyone have a 2" diameter round Greenlee manual style punch they want to sell (or loan out for a day or two)?

I have to replace an hour meter in a panel and the existing hole is a rectangular viewing slot for the numerals on the defective meter. I'm going to replace the hour meter with a 2" diameter LCD one, so I need to enlarge the rectangular hole to a 2" round.

I can't easily pull the panel to the shop to work on it. I'm reluctant to try a hole saw because it may leave a rasty hole in the panel.

$104 for a punch from McMaster-Carr is a bit rich for one awkwardly placed hole in a lifetime :(

Anyone have one they'd like to loan out for a day or two - or one to sell at a good price?

The email 'reply to' is spam trapped... remove ".xspamx" to contact me directly, or reply to the group.

Thanks in advance,

Carla

Reply to
Carla Fong

I don't have a hole punch that big, but, if the metal isn't too thick, and if you have a little maneuvering room, how about getting a manual nibbler? The one I use looks like a pair of pliers with the cutter at one end of one leg. There are models, like mine,that you hold vertically with the cutter at the joint end. You can also find a style the you hold horizontally, that have the "nibbler" in the same place as the bit jaws on a pair of pliers, but you'd need a lot of room for the handles with that king.

Although there are many styles, here's the one that I have used for years.

There are other manual designs, too. Just Google "sheet metal nibbler".

Pete Stanaitis

------------------------

Carla F>

Reply to
spaco

sell (or loan out for a day or two)?

rectangular viewing slot for the numerals on the defective meter. I'm going to replace the hour meter with a 2" diameter LCD one, so I need to enlarge the rectangular hole to a 2" round.

You probably should have mentioned your location. I'm thinking it is California but I may be wrong.

I'd just draw a circle, use die grinder with stone or a half round metal file. That is assuming you can turn unit off and cover any electrics inside to protect them from metal bits.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

sell (or loan out for a day or two)?

rectangular viewing slot for the numerals on the defective meter. I'm going to replace the hour meter with a 2" diameter LCD one, so I need to enlarge the rectangular hole to a 2" round.

a hole saw because it may leave a rasty hole in the panel.

hole in a lifetime :(

good price?

directly, or reply to the group.

The hole saw will do fine if you can clamp a sacrificial piece of wood on either side of the panel while you drill. The wood will provide the material for the hole saw to pilot in and guidance around the hole to prevent wobble.

Reply to
Pete C.