Has my DCC decoder died?

Can someone help a newbie?
I have a Bachmann digital starter set, and have been running my type 25
diesel with the
EZ command controller fine. I have added a bachmann 56xx and had been
running it
fine without a decoder via DC, or with a buzz via the analogue setting with
the EZ command.
When I tried the two on the same track the type25 with the decoder factory
fitted was working
fine, but then I changed a point which had the 56xx buzzing, and a bit later
the type25 failed
to work. However, the controller was still working and operating the DC
loco. If I power
the track with DC from an analogue controller the type25 will run.
Its as if I have done something to reprogram the DCC decoder to an address
the EZ command
controller cant output. Anyone had this before - is it possible to reset
these things.
I have bought a seperate DCC decoder to fit to the 56xx, I guess this would
be the next test-
should I fit it to the type25?
cheers,
Richard.
Reply to
Richie
Some decoders may reset if they've been subjected to a short circuit, like running a set of points set against you. Try calling up address 03 (the default address for ALL decoders) and see if it responds to that. If so, just reprogram the address.
Reply to
Joe Ellis
Doesn't sound like it, either the decoder has been reprogrammed or the controller has got confused and thinks the loco has been allocated to another throttle. Either can be fixed by reprogramming the loco address.
Chris
Reply to
Chris
to excessive current. It sounds if the programming has got scrambled. First put the 25 on the programming track and try to read the address, if successful, give the decoder a hard reset and start again.
Reply to
titans
"titans" wrote
Steve,
The Bachmann system does not support your suggestion. I'd recommend the OP to take the model to his supplier and ask them to check and reset the decoder.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll let you know how it turns out. Any ideas for best place in Sussex/Surrey? Richard.
Reply to
Richie
"Richie" wrote
Not a clue, but if you fancy a trip to Hull I'll check it out for you free of charge. ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Phil: In the absence of full reprogramming ability, but given that it might have been an accidental reprogramming by the Bachmann EZcommand by inadvertant button pushing, then it could only have programmed the loco to a number between 1 and 10: take other locos off the track, and try each loco number in turn 1,, 10 to see if you get a response. If it responds, then follow the normal Bachmann (programming -on-main) procedure to reprogramme FROM THAT number TO the desired number.
Of course, if it was a spurious pulse or similar, caused by 'other circumstances' (a short at the crossing having been suggested) then it could have become any number from 1-10000.. and a reset would be best: IF this is NOT available from the EZ COMMAND, then, yes, a quick trip to someone with a wider range of dcc controllers is needed.
Reply to
Phil
I didn't think it mattered what the current number was. The EZ-Command set ought to be able to set the loco number to one within its range even if it is currently set to something else.
Mark Thornton
Reply to
Mark Thornton
"Mark Thornton" wrote
I'd have thought it would need to be able to recognise the decoder before it could alter it. Others with more knowledge than me have raised this same issue elsewhere, so it's possibily not as straight forward as you imagine.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Phil: Quite. Because the Bachmann EZ commmand does 'programming on main', and not using a separate programming track, as I understand it, you must identify which loco you wish to reprogramme, and then select its new number - they've made it so simple. On a separate programming track,as used by my controller, then it doesn't matter what the previous code was, or whether it was 2 digit or 4 digit apparently - although I always then set the CV29 bit anyway. (somewhere I read that when programming CV1 to a value, this automatically resets the CV29 bit to 2digit - this may only apply to Lenz (aka BAchmann) decoders??) With the bachmann controller, it has been programmed for simplicity, and 'cv's don't get a visible look in 8-) (they just happen)
I just advocated removing other locos (likely to be easy on a small system) as a safety precaution.
Reply to
Phil
If you have a PC and your controller can accept a PC connection (I don't have a Bachmann controller so I don't know) you can download DecoderPro from the JMRI group (its freeware) that will read what your current CV settings are and allow you to reprogram them. If you haven't, or can't where abouts in the UK are you? Perhaps someone with a more comprehensive setup can help.
To reply substitute my surname for the obvious.
In message , Phil writes
Reply to
Ian Birchenough
I am in North Sussex. I was thinking of getting a SPROG and DecoderPro as this seems to be the cheapest way of resetting/checking it out myself. Are there any clubs in this area who are 'up' on DCC I should talk to?
thanks for the info, Richard.
Reply to
Richie
Well, good news, Bachmann service e-mailed a suggestion that worked. It does look like my suspicion was correct- it had got an address that the EZ command could not re-program. The nice man at Bachmann suggested "there is a way that might overcome this. Remove all the locos from the track, the enter the programming sequence, as far as selecting the new loco address. The place the loco on the track and finish the programming sequence. The new address is written to the loco whose address was previously unknown."
For clarification for those with an EZ-command controller: take all locos off the track press an address button, press same address button and STOP button, and release both buttons. place loco on track, press new address button, press STOP button.
happy Richard.
Reply to
Richie

Site Timeline