What a difference a decoder can make

I've been tinkering with my Bachmann DCC cheapies that came in a set with the EZ-Command controller. The set came with a GP-40 and an FT-A engine set, both with DCC decoders already installed (soldered in). The GP-40 engine made so much noise at lowish speeds with the PWM sound that I hardly ran it, and I was tired of the engines creaping up an incline and racing down the other side. I won't even mention the horrid low speed performance. I decided that I wanted back-emf detection so I went to the local train guy yesterday and he sold me a TCS-T1.

Today I got up enough nerve to remove the stock decoder and put in the TCS decoder. Using my trust Dremel, I carved out a couple of tiny circuit boards to mount at either end of the engine to hold the LEDs and connect the truck pickup wiring. I connected the two boards together with a 4" jumper, where the stock screws held in the long skinny Bachmann decoder.

Being in a big rush to try it out, I didn't bother mounting the LEDs yet. All I can say is man what a difference. Twenty dollars well spent IMO. Super quiet, and seems to be working fine with the cheapy EZ-Command controller. I wish I'd have bought two TCS decoders so that I could fix up the FT-A engine. Now if I only had a way to customize some of the CVs......

Merry Christmas

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I love your name. You a Twilight Zone fan?

Reply to
<nospam

Careful there or you could end up in the corn field. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Only if he sings!

Reply to