Scenery

Can anyone suggest a good book or video about building scenery?

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Sanderson

Woodland Scenics Scenery manual is pretty good, gives a lot of information, even though it does use their materials exclusively. Materials change, general principles don't.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

"Jim Sanderson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Woodland Scenic has a number of them, plus small size practice kits to try different techniques.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

Jim=A0Sanderson wrote: Can anyone suggest a good book or video about building scenery?

-------------------------------------------------- Here are some of my favorites:

"Scenery for Your Model Railroad" by Mike Dannemann:

"Basic Scenery for Model Railroaders" by Lou Sassi:

"The New Scenery Tips and Techniques" by Kent Johnason:

"The Scenery Guide" by Woodland Scenics:

These are inexpensive books (most are 32% off list) and include free shipping on orders over $25.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Get Dave Frary's book, well worth it. I think much better than Woodland Scenics.

Chuck Callaghan snipped-for-privacy@virginia.edu

Reply to
Charles Callaghan

Charles=A0Callaghan wrote: Get Dave Frary's book, well worth it. I think much better than Woodland Scenics. ----------------------------------------------------- Dave Frary is a master when it comes to scenery. I believe the book is out of print but can be found here:

"How to Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery" by Dave Frary:

This is another of my favorites. It was the first scenery book I purchased (years ago). I still enjoy the relaxed approach that Bill McClanahan used:

"Scenery for Model Railroaders" by Bill McClanahan:

One can't have too many books when it comes to scenery. There are always "new" ideas and approaches to be found in each.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Both excellent books. Another I like is:

"Scenery for Model Railroads, Dioramas & Miniatures" by Robert Schleicher.

I have all three. McClanahans is probably the least useful because of the space devoted to "zip texturing", but there's still some good info in it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry=A0Blanchard replied: In article , snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says... "How to Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery" by Dave Frary: "Scenery for Model Railroaders" by Bill McClanahan: Both excellent books. Another I like is: "Scenery for Model Railroads, Dioramas & Miniatures" by Robert Schleicher. I have all three. McClanahans is probably the least useful because of the space devoted to "zip texturing", but there's still some good info in it.

One can't have too many books about scenery, it appears! I have several and learned new techniques from each one.

"Scenery for Model Railroads, Dioramas & Miniatures" by Robert Schleicher:

This book has 25 tear-out reference cards. I don't know how Robert Schleicher finds time to write and photograph for all the books and magazines he's done over the years. He's certainly an enduring modeler. Sometimes I think there's more than one Robert Schleicher.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3254.bay.webtv.net:

Speaking of the prolific Mr. Schleicher, I bought his 3rd edition of The Model Railroad Handbook. Has anyone tried his "grass that grows" technique? He uses tan felt covering the styrofoam base, lightly painted green, then spinkled with real dirt and brushed with a wire brush to raise the green-tinted nap on the felt.

It looks interesting, but all that felt could get expensive. His book is the only place I have seen this technique mentioned. That book is what convinced me to use the styrofoam base, along with the WGH video. But the WGH thing just shows painting the styro base and sprinkling on the ground foam for ground cover.

I am a bit leary of having loose dirt on the layout. I don't see how you could spray it with scenic cement without having it dissolve into mud! -- =========================================================== Norman Morgan

thy airspeed, lest the ground rise and smite thee. ===========================================================

Reply to
Norman Morgan

Works OK. I have a test area that I am trying this method on.

Check out the craft stores. A 8 x 10 piece of felt for a quarter or less. It comes in many colors, so take a look and make your choice.

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Dave Frary also has a pair of scenery videos at:

I've seen them for sale in the Micro Mark catalog, too.

BTW, his home page at the above states he will have a new scenery book coming out in 2005.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" Modeling 1960's in HO.

Reply to
The CB&Q Guy