the PRC strikes again !

Hello group.

I just recieved a 3" cross slide vise (#426-8395) that I ordered from Enco and was so totally amazed that I just had to post to RCM !!

I've bought alot of tools but until now I had never seen such a totally useless piece of cr*p as this "alleged" vise (and I'm regular visitor to Harbor Freight mind you ).

I wouldn't know where to start describing this thing... I guess I can just say there is not a single fastener, surface or mechanism that fits, is aligned, tightens or is even remotely finished. The alleged gibs looks like a random piece of scrap my 4 yearold niece just hammered in there.

This is not the usual cheap imported Palmgren knock offs you comonly see at HF, Northern Tool, Grizzly,etc... Those are Kurts compared to what I received.

I took a chance on this one cause those other ones are too large to mount on the small drill press I wanted it for. Oh well.... buyer beware!

cheers, Art

Reply to
art

Enco will take it back & return your money ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
JR North

You sure it's Chinese? Sounds like a lot of Made-In-India stuff.

Enco's catalog picture looks perfect. Cartoonishly perfect.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Speaking of the devil ... I just got a call from Enco. You may remember my post "So-so dealings with Enco" (2/26) in which I complained about a POS calipers. Not because it was a POS, but because the catalog was so deceptive about it. My call today from Enco was in response to the customer satisfaction card that I sent in saying that the calipers was "grossly misrepresented" in the catalog. The caller wanted to know how the listing was wrong so that they could correct it! I explained the problem and she thanked me and I thanked her.

I guess that they do read those cards, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Sounds EXACTLY like the made-in-India vises I've seen. I've never seen anything anywhere near that bad out of China.

They are taking usable raw materials and degrading them into crap that nobody would ever want to buy.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sphereo, Richard, It has a tiny sticker that says china but it doesnt say china on the castings or anywhere on the box it came in.

I think this is the same vise but cant find any other sellers of this model:

An acquaitence has a 4" one from Grizzly (it's the other style/model) and though not the pinnacle of fit and finish, it is definitely a usable tool. I'm not sure if it is Indian or Chinese.

Well, I just wanted to share my impressions of the vise incase anyone in the group is contemplating purchase at some point. Hopefully Enco wont stick me with a restock fee.

cheers, Art

Reply to
art

I bought a cross-slide vise once from Grizzly, a 4" one. It wasn't like it was made by Kurt but it worked fine. Thinking a slightly bigger one would be useful, I ordered a 5" one from J&L when it went on sale. What a difference. POS would be way too kind.

My suggestion is if you want an inexpensive cross-slide vise stick to Grizzly.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
JR North

Sometimes they need help from enraged customers to set their quality minimums. Call them, and yell a bit.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

We would do well to remember that Enco manufactures nothing and they don't. indeed can't, inspect every boxed item that goes out.

More than likely the sample the buyer looked at and the samples their QC inspected we "pick of the litter," and what you got was the "pick of the scrap" needed to complete the 10,000 piece order.

When we used to make things in this country, the urban legend "Monday" cars from Detroit were supposed to fall into the same variable quality category.

Both China's and India's problem is not a lack of quality per se, as their products for the most part are pretty good, and some are excellent, but rather a lack of consistency, so that you never know for sure what you are going to get out of the box. By stressing price above all, with minimal quality standards and effocts toward inspection, the mass market outlets exacerbate this problem.

Both China and India badly need their own versions of the Japanese MITI to improve both their actual quality levels and the perception of their exported products.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

------------------------------ Watch out w'en you'er gittin all you want. Fattenin' hogs ain't in luck.

Joel Chandler Harris (1848-1908), U.S. journalist. Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings, "Plantation Proverbs" (1880).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

and guidance systems.

Reply to
clutch

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

art wrote in article ...

To add insult to injury, that POS was probably made on equipment from a factory that was put out of business in this country for its emissions, moved to PRC where it was re-assembled and fired right back up at the same

- or worse - pollution level.

Forcing the factory in this country to close didn't do a thing for world pollution, but it DID cost a bunch of jobs.

I know it's an inconvenient truth to him, but if ol' Al Gore wants to do something about world pollution, there are much more critical places to look than in his own back yard.

Why do we buy from countries that can maintain an unfair advantage over U.S. companies that have to meet certain levels of pollution control?

Forcing anybody who wants to sell in the USA to meet our standards isn't protectionism.....it is actually providing a level playing field.

But the common wisdom - especially in groups such as this one - seems to be, "I'm only one guy .......and, I can't afford to buy American.......and, the cheap stuff will work just as well for me........and, how much pollution can really be attributed to my one small purchase......etc."

If you are one of the ones bitching about saving the world, you had better not own ANY Chinese crap.....because YOU are a part of the problem!!!!!

Reply to
*

========= I wasn't too hot Tuesday through Friday either....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

------------------------------ Watch out w'en you'er gittin all you want. Fattenin' hogs ain't in luck.

Joel Chandler Harris (1848-1908), U.S. journalist. Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings, "Plantation Proverbs" (1880).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

The results of a long weekend and a monday hangover..... seen it, been there once or twice myself.

John

Reply to
John

Since I work turd shift, I'll have to agree since I do a time shift each weekend.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Actually, from what I have heard, Al's own back yard is worse than most of our back yards. I guess, though, it's the old "do as i say, not as I do".

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I think the utlimate "do as I say,not as I do" guy has to be John Travolta:

art

Politicians, preachers, and others in power cosistantly get into trouble getting caught doing stuff that they have campaigned against

I could give a list but everyone probably knows a whole bunch that fit the catagory.

John

Reply to
John