tee slotted cross slide

I'm looking to fabricate a tee slotted cross slide for my Sphere (Atlas 10") lathe. Do I need to use iron or would steel be ok?
Many thanks for any advise
Dave
larry90 wrote:

I don't know that lathe but I have made a T slotted add on for the cross slide on my Harrison M300 to allow me to bore some part using a between centres boring bar, I did that in steel but I did normalise it first to help avoid distortion when machining the various features. The Harrison M300 has a cross slide which has a dove tail profile so the add on has a gib strip to clamp the unit in place.