Boxford cross slide.

I own a Boxford 4 1/2" Model A lathe. It is provided with a standard cross slide and a T-slotted cross slide. They are both engraved 90-0-90 degrees, However, the standard cross slide has the 0 degree setting along its axis, but the T-slotted slide has all the settings about 15 degrees anti-clockwise with respect to the axis. Can anybody expain to me why?

David.

Reply to
David Sharp

Could it be anything to do with thread cutting? ChrisR

Reply to
Chris

It would seem that one has been wrongly marked. Is the T-slotted slide perhaps an aftermarket product, that could be incorrect?

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

On my CUD, the protractor engraving was on a separate metal ring that was inserted into a circular recess on the cross slide. Since there is no register I would think that it has been replaced out of alignment on the T slide.

-- Regards, Gary Wooding

Reply to
Wooding

Looking closely at my slide, I can just see the separate ring which has been engraved. There is no practical way in which it can be removed and replaced correctly. I will just have to use my standard cross slide for work that requires rotation, and my faulty T-slotted slide for other work. At least, I now know that the calibrations was not for some other special purpose.

David.

Reply to
David Sharp