Which cross slide table or vise to buy?

I am on the market to buy a cross slide table or vise for my drill press. I won't be doing any milling on it. Can you recommend me any particular xy vise or xy table plus regular vise?

My budget is $100

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

Harbor Freight sells these in various sizes. I bought a 4 incher and it's not bad. I think it was 30 dollars

Reply to
daniel peterman

You can get them pretty cheap, but some of them are pretty sloppy. Some have locking gibs and that is a nice feature. Personally, I'd look at it as a long term investment and go for an X-Y table with tee slots so I could either put a vise on it or use the tee slots to hold things down. On my 15" Craftsman floor model drill press, I have a 40 year old (bought it new) Craftsman/Atlas X-Y table that also rotates. I have 3 different size vises that I bolt onto the table for various jobs. I even have a wooden table (6" of 2X4 that clamps into the vise with a 10" square of plywood screwed to it that I use real often. Using that table gives me a surface that I can drill into and I don't have to remove the X-Y table. Also, I'd go for the biggest table I could afford.

Palmgren is a good name.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

Alex wrote:

Reply to
spaco

How much weight do you think is ok for for a drill press before thre is any bending in table support?

Reply to
Alex

If you put a one microgram weight on your table there will be deflection. It just won't be very big. If you put more weight on then there will be more deflection. It is impossible to give numbers knowing nothing about your machine.

If that's a problem, it should be possible to use some sort of column jack to greatly bolster it against stiffening.

Drill presses aren't very good for precision work. If you need better than 1/32" accuracy you're in trouble. That's what milling machines are for.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin