What type of toolmakers vise is the best

I am looking to buy a 3" or 4" wide generic toolmakers vise on eBay. Can anyone recommend me a particular type or features vise should have?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:57:43 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Alex quickly quoth:

I just picked up a 3" super-precision sine toolmaker's vise from

800watt on eBay for $30 ($42.49 delivered.) This has an acme screw vs. the quick-slide type and horz/vert vee-cuts for holding round objects. I think I'll be happy with it since I don't expect to have to chuck up dozens of various sized objects ever session. Check 'em out, Alex. They're machined nicely enough that when you loosen tight jaws, there is a drag on the screw and a sucking sound from the oil caught between the jaws. I think it'll be precise enough for my meager use, machiningwise.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

========= What you intend to do with it will have a big affect on the recommendations. Can you be more specific on how you will use it?

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.