Boeing Surplus is closing - how sad

It's been awhile since I'd been there, the selection of goodies the last couple times was disappointing. I got to talking to one of the Boeing people there and he agreed. He says, "we don't build anything anymore, we just assemble". Then he told me they were closing up in September.

Reply to
Wally

I'm know what you mean. Sad indeed.

I have some endmills and what not from a JEDEC meeting up north and I got to drive down on an off day and shop. It was interesting when I checked into the airport - had 1" down to 3/16" endmills in my briefcase. The airport guy was understanding on the strange looking stuff.

When the wing started to be built overseas - that was the death nail. Seems like I heard Kansas is building just not in Washington.

Martin

Mart> It's been awhile since I'd been there, the selection of goodies the

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Does that mean the vital parts will now be made in China? Hmm...

Reply to
David R Brooks

So Boeing went the way of the US auto industry. Nothing made in house, farm out manufacturing to anyone willing to bid. Play suppliers against each other in a race to the bottom with quick reaction teams to move tooling and contracts to the next vend^H^H^H^Hvictim.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

========== Wrong tense -- should be "are being" and not "will be."

google on for about 3.2 mill hits.

for quick info click on

FWIW -- wide body aircraft was supposed to be one the segments that America would dominate in the brave new world economy and would replace those nasty textile and electronics assembly jobs we were exporting, with higher wages and better working conditions.

Another example of a transnational corporation that was once American doing well, while the Americans take it in the shorts.

And you say Americans aren't signing up for engineering courses

-- is that your problem bunkie? Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

So, who needs terrorists to bring down a plane? Just build it in a chinese sweatshop and let it fall apart on its own?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--I'm holding out for Rutan surplus, heh.

Reply to
steamer

On 30 Jul 2007 01:00:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, steamer quickly quoth:

"Brother, can you spare a booster rocket?"

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I read a pocket book on air crashes.... one you don't want to read again - and this was while I was on a plane once a week...

The company would allow anything overseas or out of the shops - but the wing held the secrets.

Another company could steal a tail and everything else and get nothing to fly without the high tech built into the wing.

Once out - it spelled the downfall and demise of the company - and several air crashes from bad parts (not spec) in new airplanes.

Martin

Mart> Wally wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I heard China got a lot of it - but some is being build in Kansas. But talk is cheap. One never really knows.

The XIT ranch - largest cattle ranch is busted up - the King Ranch is in the process. Heirs don't hold what creators did.

Mart> David R Brooks wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned David R Brooks wrote on Sun, 29 Jul 2007

14:25:45 +0800 >> It's been awhile since I'd been there, the selection of goodies the

Nope. Boeing isn't making parts anymore, but that doesn't mean all the work went overseas. Some of it went up the road, some of it went to Montana. BWTH, they moved headquarters to Chicago, so why worry about King County's inability to see reality?

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

How about a Titan III retro rocket housing?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ought to become quite interesting when it is discovered that some Chinese manufacturer arbitrarily and unilaterally decides to eliminate one or more components or manufacturing steps as has happened in the tire fiasco.

Reply to
*

Except that isn't going to happen. Why produce in the US when you can produce the EXACT same thing in China with the same materials, processes, and quality assurance that you can in the US....only MUCH cheaper (as far as the bottom line is concerned)

It's capitalism.

Reply to
Mike