Boeing Surplus is almost history

I've been told that Boeing Surplus in Kent, WA is closing its doors on December 31st (don't know if that's the exact date, but call it the end of the year, I suppose) and a lot of the Seattle area Boeing facilities are in a mad rush to get as much stuff as they can down there before the process changes (I don't know much about how it's going to be, unfortunately, but an outside vendor will be selling most of it on eBay.) I myself have been going through tons of gear and have about two truckloads of stuff that will be heading down. Some of it's really old and still brand new, while some of it is just out and out obsolete. I sorta feel bad sending it out, but we're going to need the room and it has no other use that I can foresee. My campus is going whole hog in other buildings (including some buildings!) and every few days there's a fresh trailer getting loaded up. I snagged a couple things off one trailer, but the condition of some of the items really makes me feel a bit bad, but there's lots of opportunities there for those ready and willing. There's a pallet of cast copper rings that weigh over 300 pounds each, which I gag when I think about the money someone's going to make from that one pallet. Or a tubskid full of circuit boards that no one has a clue what they're good for, and someone will have to dispose of. Whatever. At any rate, it's a good time to go out with a bang, so for those who like to shop there, it's time to hit it up regularly until the doors close. Lots of stuff moving fast.

Reply to
Carl McIver

Boeing Surplus has been steadily going down hill for several years now, still I'm going to miss them.

42

Reply to
42

Ebay has been both bane and benefit to me. I don't know how that word bane jumped into my head, I had to look it up to be sure of use. Reading 1000's of books must have planted that word in my head with out my conscious knowledge.

I am saddened by your pacific west coasters loss. Sucks when the candy store closes up on ya. So far the rust belt is still giving up cheap machinery in my part of the country. That will likely end soon too.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Another reason is the advancement in tooling technology. With the advent of insertable drills, etc, there isn't much to surplus...when it's damaged, you send it out and get the seat repaired, and it goes right back in the system. If it really gets trashed, you toss it in the scrap metal bin, that is hauled off by the recycling company that sends it to the remelters..never to even grace a scrap metal yard.

Reply to
Anthony