Any recent reports on Boeing Surplus?

I'm heading up to Seattle in a couple days for the ABANA conference and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to visit Boeing Surplus while I'm in the neighborhood. Has anyone been there recently? Is it worth a visit? The last mention I saw in this ng wasn't very enthusiastic, but that was several months ago IIRC.

TIA, Bert

Reply to
Bert

It's always worth a visit Bert. What are you looking for?

Reply to
sam

It's like going to a picked-over Goodwill, Bert. The odds of finding anything useful aren't zero, but my days of going out there every couple of weeks ended quite awhile ago. I mourned and got over it. Last ten or so times I went there (mostly because I had dealings next door) I came home empty handed.

I used to buy there regularly:

V-belts bandsaw blade stock electric motors electrical enclosures nuts & bolts metal stock

As an example, years ago I used to go there and they'd have 4 or 5 7.5hp 3 phase motors in the $20 range. Now if they have one, it's $150 or more, probably missing the junction box and needing a rebuild. As in, who are they kidding?

They still have safety glasses and empty 3-ring binders, though. All you can eat.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

'Tween the higher prices and the ebayers, it ain't what it used to be. But if you're in the neighborhood and have some time, why not stop in and look around.

Reply to
Paul in Redland

"Bert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | I'm heading up to Seattle in a couple days for the ABANA conference | and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to visit Boeing Surplus | while I'm in the neighborhood. Has anyone been there recently? Is it | worth a visit? The last mention I saw in this ng wasn't very | enthusiastic, but that was several months ago IIRC. | | TIA, | Bert

It's worth checking the site out on the web, and noting where in the country some of that stuff is at. A buddy of mine likes to head down with his pickup and come back with underpriced machinery for his woodworking hobby. It helps to know that a shop or organization is closing down (or sorting out piles of crap accumulated over the years,) and after a few days start you could circling the store waiting for it to drop. They just closed down the Arkansas plant, and a lot of stuff there, waiting for a buyer. You do get some truly cool stuff, though, and it helps to have visited it once or twice in your life so that you can get a feel for the place. A lot of the weird R&D stuff heads down there occasionally, and for some of it you never know its coming. Often the "inside" deals are from employees working stuff out for personal use, but a lot of time Boeing folks head down to pick up stuff for their own organization. Boeing is so damn big that one hand rarely knows what the other one is doing. I'm going to be needing some cabinets for my sorting out tubskids of assorted goodies collected over the years (we can/need to be pack rats in my shop,) and that's the first place I'll call. First time I went there I picked up a couple things, but the main reason was just to see how it worked. ISTR there being a 25% off sale going on or just ending. Can't remember.

Reply to
carl mciver