ALERT: Boeing Surplus Store closing

This alert just came over a mailing list I'm on. For us nerds, the closing of
the
Boeing store would be a calamity of major proportions. This store is a national
treasure. Please spread this message around and drop a note to the persons
listed.
-----------
Fellow techies,
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have learned that Boeing
Surplus's retail store will be closing permanently at the end of this year. The
last
day for retail operations will be Friday, December 21st. This decision was
revealed
to the employees on July 13th. Boeing has, for unknown reasons, made no apparent
effort to publicize it.
The news left me in shock when I first heard. Boeing's been operating that
store for at least 30 years, and it has become something of a local icon for the
region.
I have spoken with some contacts I still have inside the company, and have
been told that the "official" word is that it was costing more to run the store
than
it was bringing in. I'm not at all certain I believe this -- If true, I think it
would have happened a lot earlier on, and certainly with more frequency. The
surplus
store is cyclical, just like the manufacturing side, and I don't see how its
possible
that they could run into a perpetual downward trend.
The excuse was also made that the volume and variety of equipment going
through the retail level was falling too far off to justify maintaining the
store.
There is, to my mind, a simple answer for that -- Simply route more equipment
through
retail, rather than selling it off in bulk to the big-dollar wholesalers! This is
especially true where test gear is concerned.
In short: I don't believe that this is a smart move by Boeing. Quite the
contrary! I think it's the dumbest stunt they've pulled since selling off their
commercial avionics unit to BAE.They have a very loyal customer base, and a large
core of 'regulars' for the surplus store, myself included, and I for one do not
intend to let this issue simply die off without a fight.
If you agree, and you want to make your voice heard on this issue, I ask that
you do two things.
(1) SPREAD THE WORD!!!! I have no clue why Boeing hasn't made this more
public, but my speculation is that they know, full well, how loyal a following
the
store has and they're trying to avoid a public backlash. If that is the case, I
would
like nothing better than to see that plan backfire!
(2) Make a POLITE contact with the office of Mr. Tim Copes, president of
Boeing's Shared Services Group (they're in charge of all surplus programs,
companywide), and ask that the decision to close the store be reversed.
Mr. Copes' office can be contacted at: (425) 865-7501
If you wish to mail a letter, you can do so to this address:
Mr. Tim Copes
Boeing Shared Services Group
Mailstop 6R7-01
PO Box 3707
Seattle, WA 98124
Will it work, if enough noise is made? Who knows? Honestly, I don't think
there's much chance of saving the current store in its current form, given the
time
it has left.
HOWEVER -- If enough voices are raised, it may convince the company to
provide a meaningful alternative, or perhaps even open another store down the
road a
stretch.
Thanks for reading.

--
John De Armond
Neon John
Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message ........Ebay has changed the marketplace....and Boeing is going where they can get more money for their stuff...can you blame them?
Reply to
JerryD(upstateNY)