Belt sander

can a belt sander remove hardened metal with speed and ease?

Reply to
Wayne

The message from Wayne contains these words:

How big a bit of metal?

Personally I'd use an angle grinder for removing metal.

Reply to
Guy King

i do not have access to an angle grinder now. i am hoping to to remove about half inches by 3 inches. this material is seriously hard. High Speed Steel

thanks for your reply

Reply to
Wayne

A belt sander is just another grinder.

It'll work. Shop for the correct belt material (the abrasive) as there are different ones, and some work far better than others for certain jobs.

Half by three inches!

Gonna be a looooong day with a Dynafile!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Yes. Lots of lathe folks use one as a grinder for esoteric HSS. Most knife makers use a belt grinder.

You'll be happier if you get an AlZn belt. Typically blue, but naturally the cheap folks started making blue belts that were not AlZn as soon as that became a selling point - so check what the abrasive actually is before buying.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

The message from Wayne contains these words:

That's an area - how far down?

Reply to
Guy King

With the correct belt sander it might take about 2 min if you just hog it out and maybe 10 if you go slow ,don't heat the work, achive some sort of percision. I have a Bader 2" x 72" that would make short work of it. If you'er going to adapt a woodworking belt sander to the job it will take longer but can still be done. The type of abrasive belt is key (ft per min is the other factor).

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

half inch down. the only belt sander that i have access is a 4" x 36" belt four inches wide.Yes, its for knives but they do not have it in 1 or two inches belts. Would a 4" belt work?

Reply to
Wayne

Yes. If the sander has been used for wood in the past, clean wood dust from all the nooks and crannies of the sander, and also all the environment around the sander - sparks and wood dust make a great combination for starting a fire, sometimes hours after you've left the shop.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Perhaps with Planer belts - the blue colored ones. Light movement across - don't press as it will just knock off the grit.

Common Si or even garnet won't be the best. Martin

Mart> i do not have access to an angle grinder now. i am hoping to to remove

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yeah but, "the answer" is still a hand (angle) grinder. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I have 2 knifemaking grinding/sanding/polishing machines for sale. They resemble the Stephen Bader machines and were hand built by my husband. He has passed away and I would like to sell these excellent machines to someone who can use them.

Reply to
johnny

When johnny put fingers to keys it was 10/23/07 10:50 AM...

Where are they? What're you asking for them?

- Carl W

Reply to
Carl

I believe I replied already to this post. They are in Port Charlotte, FL and I am asking $1000.00 for both of them ($500 ea.)

Reply to
johnny