Surplus Rockets

Anyone know WHY there is such a plethora of surplus Venus Probe and/or ExoSkell rockets on ebay? Is there some kind of inherent design flaw that made a store decide not to sell them, or did someone go bankrupt, or what?

Just curious, I've bought a bunch for an 'outreach' teaching weekend.

Also, anyone know where there are other 'surplus' specials available?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

My guess is that they just weren't that popular. I've seen them fly and haven't heard of any complaints or that they are unsafe.

It figures that Estes would spend time and effort on something like them, when the need is to be producing the NASA rockets or Interceptor, etc.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Yep, I'd think is probably a popularity issue also. I have seen exoskells fly and they are pretty entertaining and seemed like a nice kit.

Reply to
Mike Burch

I also meant to say, that I think either would be a great choice for an outreach attempt and they seem to be plentiful here as well.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Has anyone looked at the economics of parsing out the parts in a Venus Probe and reselling on ebay? I haven't but given what folks will pay for Estes chutes, rings, and tubing, I'd bet that you might be able to get more than 6 bucks for the parts...

Reply to
Louis Schroeder

Don't know about e-bay, but I saw LOTS of them being dumped by HobbyLobby, KB, and others at $5 each. There are folks who run around and buy up stuff being dumped way below list, then resell them on Ebay hoping to get near list.

Bob Kaplow

I noticed on the batch we received that the launch lug molded into one of the fins is gone, so the only launch lug is the one at the top of the body tube. The fin can was pre-assembled and they may have used the wrong fin can section. This may be a safety issue.

John

Reply to
John Stein

most likeley a surplus stock

you'll notice they are all being sold by sell2all. must have got a truckload of them cheap. him and MSD2345 (quest assortments) are both good about selling new kits at decent prices

got a case of each for the club store......planing on getting another case of each.

not bad at all considering they wanted over $25 at the beginning

Reply to
tater schuld

Before Christmas, our local hobby/craft store was offering a free ExoSkell with the purchase of any other rocket kit.

David Takemoto-Weerts Davis, CA NAR # 80818 JPL/NASA Solar System Ambassador

David Erbas-White wrote: : Anyone know WHY there is such a plethora of surplus Venus Probe and/or : ExoSkell rockets on ebay? Is there some kind of inherent design flaw : that made a store decide not to sell them, or did someone go bankrupt, : or what?

Reply to
David Takemoto-Weerts