Re: April is Rocket Tool Month...

Most libraries have basic machining books. Lathes and threading are pretty

> basic and thus in them. For that particular lathe search the web and > newsgroups on 7x10. There are several yahoo groups as well.

You might also look for metal shop classes at your local high school or community college.

Bob Kaplow

I'm not sure if it's available anywhere currently, but I've seen a nice pamphlet printed years ago by South Bend Lathe Co. entitled "How to Run a Lathe", which explains the basics.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

A good suggestion for most, but no thanks. I have rarely, if ever, found benefit from most classes I've taken (of course, you won't hear me telling my kids that ). Unfortunately, I've ended up TEACHING some of them (one of those cases where credit for the course was needed for the 'paperwork', etc.).

I've always found hands-on useage along with one or two good books to be sufficient, common sense and experience tend to provide the finishing touches. That's why I'm (kind of) waiting to see if anyone actually recommends any specific books on the subject. While I agree with the general concept of "check out books on machining in the library," I am also hoping that those who've done similarly will pipe up and say "this is a good book" or "that one is a bad one."

Not knowing anything about the subject means that I'd have to grab a bunch at random, review them sufficiently to see which ones are worthwhile, and then go from there. Given that SOMEONE here probably can provide some recommendations, I'll bide my time...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I think nearly every new lathe comes with basic machining instructions. Of course one probably wants to know some things before purchasing a new or used lathe.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

The Craftex clone of this one came only with parts list. The only thing with these little lathes is you have to custom make most tooling holders, working on SS is very tedious and not recommended, try to find a taper attachment, I would trade mine for a larger one any day, it would be much easier to turn a

Reply to
Mike