April PhotoWorks Contest Winner

Congratulations to Ed Eaton on winning the April PhotoWorks rendering contest. To see Ed's winning image and download the model for the May contest visit

.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

In case anyone was curious... The way I beat the 'Studio Plastic + Indirect illumination' bug to get the cell phone model to cast shadows on the picture was to crudely model the storage tray from my car and map a photo I took of the tray (and the junk I carry in it) as a decal onto the tray model. The quality isn't as good (you can see streaking on the left side of the image from the projected decal stretching to fill the vertical wall) but since the viewers attention is drawn away from that by the composition it was an acceptable compromise. I still urge folks to report this bug because if it gets fixed we can make really nice images more easily and without artifacts from decal projection - and there are many other cases where this simply won't be a suitable workaround.

I want to thank Rob for taking the time and having the energy and enthusiasm to put on this contest. I don't get to render that much anymore and it is nice to have an excuse to go back and see what PWx can do (even when that involves beating its bugs).

I think if we can raise awareness with the folks in Concord about PWx limitations by making noise we can get some attention to FINALLY fixing it. The best rendering was the one from 3D studio Max, and there is no technical reason (beyond bugs and imposed limitations) that we can't all make renderings that nice - easily. After all, we are using the same rendering engine as 3D max. BTW - I was messing around with 2007 and got some results very close to that one (they've done some nice stuff with the material libraries) but regretably did mine in 2006.

One last question - when I was looking at the entries I never saw the one from Mark Matthews until today. Was it there the whole time, or was it a late entry? It's nice and probably would have gotten my vote if I had seen it (its tacky to vote for oneself) - maybe I missed it because it was tucked after the ineligible ones and it didn't occur to me to scroll any further?

Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Mark submitted his entry late (Thursday night - posted Friday morning). Most everyone had voted at that point. He spent time on the rendering so I wanted to post it for others to see. It was a little low on the page, sorry Mark.

I also want to thank everyone for taking the time to submit an image and vote for a winner. These are the people which make the contest a success.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Congratulations Ed,

Keep up the good work Rob

John Layne

John Layne

Speaking of voting and posting.....Rob I think that you should be able to win this contest like everyone else. The voting is completely annonymous so why not put your image up to win just like everyone else. The reason for this contest is so that we can all learn from the best PhotoWorks renderers in the business. I am grateful that Rob takes his personal time and personal website (although he benefits from the extra hits now :-)) to give us this contest and he should be able to enter as well. And also thanks to Ed for his teachings on how he created his rendering. This month has been great as there has been some great discussion on the rendering in addition to the contest itself. So what did Ed actually win since we had prizes this time. Anything you don't already own Ed?

KM

P.S. Maybe we can turn this contest into the National PhotoWorks User Group and get some sponsorship that way and have some quarterly inline meetings. Maybe we can get some donated Webex time from someone? Any thoughts (seperate topic on comp.cad for this)

Reply to
ken.maren

I should also mention that Lennart (the April contest winner) has made his winning SW/PW model/rendering files available to anyone who would like to pick them apart. The file is too large for me to post but I can send it on CD for those who would like it. Thanks Lennart.

My model/rendering files are also available for any of the contest if anyone would like them. Unfortunately the cell phone files will only work for people using a future version.

Ed has won (I feel like I should be on the Price is Right) a lovely, one of a kind...................

Seriously, Ed and Lennart both chose a SolidWorks fleece jacket as their prize. Thanks to SolidWorks and the SolidWorks User Group Network

) for providing the prizes.

I like the PW user group idea Ken. I'd like to hear what others think on this. If interest is high we maybe be able to take it to the next level.

Reply to
Rock Guy

Everyone see new topic. I will contact Mr. Doyle and see what he thinks.

KMaren

Reply to
ken.maren

I know this contest is for SW people but would anyone mind if I did non participating renders occasionally using native Blender or with Yafray, Povray, Kerkythea, Sunflow or Ingigo? Must be a lot of people using 3DStudio or Maxwell too who would like to be in just for fun or expo. Nothing like competition for PW to improve it and the user's skills ;o) If not maybe we can find a host for a few images of our own informal contest. just a thought.. neil

Reply to
neil

Rob, I agree. I think you should be eligible for competition (especially since you probably already have a collection of SWx Swag and don't need the prize - just the bragging rights). I'd like to see you bring the best you got to the game - I've seen some of your renderings and they can be terrific. And I think everyone can trust you to be honorable and stick to the time limitations that are imposed on the rest of us. Besides, we will extra-motivated to crush you :) Heck, if Paul Salvador could just keep his logo off of his renderings he could crush us all. Ed

Reply to
ed1701