L2 Sugestions - Small field..

Hello All,

Its been a while since my L1 cert and now that the weather is getting better I've started thinking about getting my L2 cert. My club flies out of a few fields but they usual one is pretty small. Well let me clarify that, it's a huge field, but contains a swamp or two, trees, all kinds of stuff that likes to gobble up rockets.

I'm looking for a nice big rocket that will stay low on a J (~2000ft) and still get some altitude on K-L (4000ish) when I attend bigger fields. I'm a little lost looking at a lot of manufactures. I could used any suggestions, links and reviews.

Thanks everyone!

-Cat

Reply to
cat

Get a LOC Magnum..

Launches to just under 2000' on a A/T J350, or similar size motor, depending on how heavy you build it. On a 54 mm K or L motor you can get up to a mile + or -; once again, depending on weight and motor combination. Right now, I have a four fin version on my work bench; glassed airframe, with a 76 mm motor mount. My LDRS bird, if I get to go.

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

suggestions,

A good friend of mine used a LOC Bruiser EXP for his L2.

Low and Slow at 667 feet on a J350, single deploy.

The same rocket has a nice 54mm motor mount with two outboard motors for air starts and lots of altitude.

22 pounds, 7.5" in diamter and about 11 feet tall.
Reply to
AlMax

What Al said also. The Bruiser/J350 is even a better bet than the Magnum/J350 for a small field.

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Reply to
Will Marchant

Why fly a saucer when you can fly a rocket?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Low risk qualified flight.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Make sure you have a 12 foot rail and a windless day just to be safe on the J350.

the J570 will kick its butt so the wind is less of a worry.

Reply to
AlMax

Al, You just made my day. In the future, I was thinking about using a Bruiser for a small M level 3 flight but would also like to fly it on a 38mm J, a 350 or 570, but wasn't sure if it would be enough motor for the Bruiser.

Reply to
wickball

Reply to
wickball

Thanks for the feedback Al, I appreciate it.

Reply to
wickball

I thought a saucer was a rocket.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

I thought a saucer was for a cuppa tea!

Reply to
CJC

I have to agree with Phil on this one, not a rocket :)

-cat

"Will Marchant" L2 saucer. That will stay low! 8)

Reply to
cat

"AlMax"

I've been looking at LOC, and the Bruiser has been at the top of my list, but @ +/- $300 i was giving it second thoughts. Whats the air frame made out of? its just cardboard isent it? Its a very nice looking rocket, and i love slow take offs.

-cat

Reply to
cat

There aren't a lot of fiberglass (out of the box) kits around are there? Maybe I can borrow the space and glass one of the LOC kits. Someone suggested Polecat (I thought they where out of business) are there any other mfgs selling glassed out of the box kits?

-cat

Reply to
cat

If your certification team approves. There is lots of discussion on both the TRA and NAR lists about using drag recovery "rockets" for certification. The majority opinion is that a deployable recovery device (i.e. parachute or streamer) is required. Many people will not participate in a certification using a saucer.

From your description of the field is sounds like landing proximity is more a concern than altitude (although the two are correlated). Dual deployment will help with this. You could use a smaller/lighter rocket with a streamer at apogee and set the main for 500ft or so. Fly it on a baby J (PRO38 J285, for example).

Reply to
Alex Mericas

I completely agree with Alex that you should talk to your cert team

*before* you select and start building a cert rocket at *any* level.

I think the jury is out about the necessity of deployment at the L1 & L2 levels. I think it more likely that it is a vocal minority that feels deployment is neccessary. You won't know until you talk with your local folks. I certed on a saucer at L1 and my local prefects were very supportive. Tripoli requires electronic deployment (of something) for L3.

Once again, in my opinion, you should be talking to your local cert team before you start buying and building.

If you feel you have to have nyl> Will Marchant wrote:

Reply to
Will Marchant

What's Up Hobbies (San Diego, CA)

Reply to