L2 Sugestions - Small field..

Hello All,
Its been a while since my L1 cert and now that the weather is getting better I've started thinking about getting my L2 cert. My club flies out of a few
fields but they usual one is pretty small. Well let me clarify that, it's a huge field, but contains a swamp or two, trees, all kinds of stuff that likes to gobble up rockets.
I'm looking for a nice big rocket that will stay low on a J (~2000ft) and still get some altitude on K-L (4000ish) when I attend bigger fields. I'm a little lost looking at a lot of manufactures. I could used any suggestions, links and reviews.
Thanks everyone! -Cat
cat wrote:

Get a LOC Magnum.. http://www.locprecision.com/site/loc/5inch/index.html Launches to just under 2000' on a A/T J350, or similar size motor, depending on how heavy you build it. On a 54 mm K or L motor you can get up to a mile + or -; once again, depending on weight and motor combination. Right now, I have a four fin version on my work bench; glassed airframe, with a 76 mm motor mount. My LDRS bird, if I get to go.
Fred

Point.
I second the vote for the Magnum, used one for my L2 with CTI J330.
wick

suggestions,
A good friend of mine used a LOC Bruiser EXP for his L2.
Low and Slow at 667 feet on a J350, single deploy.
The same rocket has a nice 54mm motor mount with two outboard motors for air starts and lots of altitude.
22 pounds, 7.5" in diamter and about 11 feet tall.
AlMax wrote:

What Al said also. The Bruiser/J350 is even a better bet than the Magnum/J350 for a small field.
Fred
Al, You just made my day. In the future, I was thinking about using a Bruiser for a small M level 3 flight but would also like to fly it on a 38mm J, a 350 or 570, but wasn't sure if it would be enough motor for the Bruiser.
wick

38mm
Make sure you have a 12 foot rail and a windless day just to be safe on the J350.
the J570 will kick its butt so the wind is less of a worry.
Thanks for the feedback Al, I appreciate it.
wick

"AlMax"

I've been looking at LOC, and the Bruiser has been at the top of my list, but @ +/- $300 i was giving it second thoughts. Whats the air frame made out of? its just cardboard isent it? Its a very nice looking rocket, and i love slow take offs.
-cat

Super-premium cardboard, actually.

Like Jerry said, it's some of the best 7.5" kraft tubing around.
another Guy flew his Bruiser with a 4" motor mount internal fin can system on an M and used his airframe soley as an aero-skin.
just bolted the kraft tubing over the fin can.
Art Applewhite (http://www.artapplewhite.com /) is currently beta testing an L2 saucer. That will stay low! 8)     Will
cat wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2
Why fly a saucer when you can fly a rocket?

Low risk qualified flight.
I thought a saucer was a rocket.
shockie B)

I thought a saucer was for a cuppa tea!

I have to agree with Phil on this one, not a rocket :) -cat
"Will Marchant" L2 saucer. That will stay low! 8)
Will Marchant wrote:

If your certification team approves. There is lots of discussion on both the TRA and NAR lists about using drag recovery "rockets" for certification. The majority opinion is that a deployable recovery device (i.e. parachute or streamer) is required. Many people will not participate in a certification using a saucer.
From your description of the field is sounds like landing proximity is more a concern than altitude (although the two are correlated). Dual deployment will help with this. You could use a smaller/lighter rocket with a streamer at apogee and set the main for 500ft or so. Fly it on a baby J (PRO38 J285, for example).
I completely agree with Alex that you should talk to your cert team *before* you select and start building a cert rocket at *any* level.
I think the jury is out about the necessity of deployment at the L1 & L2 levels. I think it more likely that it is a vocal minority that feels deployment is neccessary. You won't know until you talk with your local folks. I certed on a saucer at L1 and my local prefects were very supportive. Tripoli requires electronic deployment (of something) for L3.
Once again, in my opinion, you should be talking to your local cert team before you start buying and building.
If you feel you have to have nylon *and* a saucer you might look at the http://www.polecataerospace.com/woket.htm
I haven't seen it in person but the local club bought one and seems happy with it.     Will
Alex Mericas wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2