Field Trips

I am thinking about the club doing some rocketry related field trips and was wondering what others may have done. any suggestions?

Reply to
tater schuld

My club, the North Star Rocketry Group had a an outing to the National Space Centre, in Leicester, UK. Now that might be a bit far for your group to go, but you get the idea. Pick and aerospace museum within easy travelling distance.

Not really a field trip, but every year we also go bowling and have a meal afterwards.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Should have specified that our club is located in Wisconsin.

Bowling huh? that where you take those contest spheres used for altitude duration and roll them down a warped wooden lane?

Reply to
tater schuld

Reply to
zak orion

I don't know of any space museum close to here. There might be something in Chicago or the Twin Cities. But I was going to propose a trip for our group to Naram and another one the following year to somewhere out west to launch at a real launch site(dry lake bed or something like one)

Reply to
zak orion

Zak, I thought you was saving your epoxy for something *usefull*

Reply to
tater schuld

Over the winter NIRA usually makes a trip to one of the Chicago museums. THe Adler Planetarium and Museum of Science and Industry are obvious choices. We did the Shedd aquarium once when they had a Far Side exhibit there. And this winter the Art Institute has a collection of space art that I think we're going to shoot for. Fermilab was interesting until the post 9/11 security restrictions shut most of it down to the public. We even did an afternoon at American Science and Surplus once!

Bob Kaplow

That's an excellent idea Zak!

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind readers that the Mercury 7 space capsule is touring the country following it's long stint underwater. It will be leaving Phoenix Sept 7, so you have just a few remaining days to view it here. I had a link to the DiscoveryChannel about its itinerary, but that has vanished. Perhaps you can locate it there.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Is there a schedule for it's travels. IIRC it's not passing through Chicago at all. Any other mid-west stops?

Bob Kaplow

Last year, our club organized a field trip to the David Florida labs here in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

This facility is where Canadian space companies do final assembly and testing of comms satellites, and where the Canadian Space Agency does a lot of research and testing.

Among other things, it has one of the largest vacuum environment chambers in North America. NASA uses it from time to time.

We all got to don bunny suits and get decontaminated prior to starting the tour, since nearly the entire facility runs "clean".

I took my 12yo, and she loved it as much as I did!

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Our club (from years ago, now defunct) was called the Goddard Society. We took a field trip to Worcester Mass to visit the Goddard Museum and library at Clark University. Great fun and the curator loved the attention.

jim

tater schuld wrote:

Reply to
Jim Flis

Yeah, and we have a trophy shaped like a pin with fins...

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn