Machining Polyurithane

Does anyone know how to machine polyurithane. I have to bore a tapered hole in the subframe mounts for my car, (custom application). Using a boring bar the material just flexes around the bar.

Any Ideas. John Roncallo

Reply to
Anonymous

Mark F

"jroncallo roncallo @snet.net>"

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"jroncallo roncallo @snet.net>"

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

These people give good advice that works:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Grinding works well even on things like sponge rubbers.

But it leaves one hullova mess!

DOC

Reply to
doc

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

According to Harold and Susan Vordos :

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Gentelmen

Thank you for all the help. From most of the posts here it kind of pointed me in the right direction. Get some tool with a high rake in there. I made a tool out of a piece of 1/2" tubing. I ground down 90 % of the cross section from one side and sharpend it to effectively make a boaring bar with a very high rake angle. I did forget to mension that the bore was not required to be precise, so eyeball round was fine.

I also liked the idea of frezzing but anything below houshold frezer temperature was unavailable (Except for the last 5 LB of Freon 12 I have)

Anonymous

I use a diamond ground insert (RB), too, which would be sharp enough, but sharp isn't enough for this material. If you haven't attempted to machine it, it's hard to understand. It machines much like rubber. It requires considerably more positive rake than is available from insert tooling, plus a broad, deep chip breaker (if desired), thus my comment. I have no doubt that a successful tool could be ground in carbide if one cared to spend the time.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

According to Harold and Susan Vordos :