Electric jack hammerl opinion

A pawn shop near me has an electric jackhammer, a Wacker brand that is IIRC a subsidiary of Caterpillar. The unit is about $1700 new. It has a cart, and three bits. Looks lightly used. He wants $600 and won't move. I offered him three, and if he has it tomorrow, I'll offer him four.

Anyone know what these usually sell for used?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If it's like the Bosch, I've never seen one for $600. Lightly used, it sounds like a good deal. Of course, I would do a Google search and see if any info is out there.

Reply to
ATP*

I have only tried the Bosh, and not the one you are looking at, but after years of occasionally using air powered jackhammers, I found the Bosh entirely too wimpy to bother with.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Depends what you're doing with them. For tasks like breaking up a bathroom tile floor / mud bed they are entirely satisfactory and an air powered one with a diesel compressor parked outside would be rather absurd.

Reply to
Pete C.

Wacker makes great tools, though I didn't know they made and have not used their electric jackhammer.

I own the Bosch. I don't think you would ever touch one for $500 assuming it did still run. One of my guys dropped mine, cracked the handle. Handle was $15, decided to put in an O ring kit ($55). Can't tell you it looks like a new one, but hits like a new one.

Be very aware, these things don't hit like air driven hammers, but are much cleaner and quieter. If you're breaking out the driveway, get air. If you changing a bit of plumbing or cannot have the dust, use the electric.

Reply to
DanG