Magazine Binders

The pile of model mag's is getting higher each month and the wife's getting a bit fed up of knocking them over.

I know you can get binders via the mag but these are about =A38 each plus postage. I have tried places like W H Smith & Partners but they only have the cardboard, plastic or mesh box's, any ideas anyone ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I use the widest ring binders I can find, with clear plastic punched sleeves.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Price will depend on Quantity and postage. But you could have a matched Library

Reply to
Trev

I use plastic magazine holders from somewhere like 'Partners' or 'Staples'. The only problem is that you can't stack them, but you can't stack magazine binders either! Another advantage is that, depending on magazine, you can get a lot more in those than in magazine or ring binders, i.e. the best part of fourty MRJ's, the only ones I keep whold now.

I eventually got to the stage of cutting out articles from other monthlies that I wanted to keep and now keep just these, filed in document boxes.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

I did that and am in the process of scanning them to save space. This is frowned upon by the publisher but it's for my own use.

The magazines I keep in their entirety are MRJ and GWJ.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I hope that more publishers start doing back issues on CD. I started buying a couple of years of Radio Communications on CD each time I pay my subscription, and now I only have last years on paper and and everything else published on CD even before I joined the RSGB. A lot easier to manage.

Perhaps we need to start pressuring? I don't mind paying extra for the convenience, and the publishers can make a bit more money?

Reply to
Lester Caine

Yes many PC mag's do the same ! They are also 'search-able' which helps.

I did find some magazine holders at a place called Cresswell.com. They slip over the spine and you can put them into ring binders etc. They come in packs of 12 but they cost =A34.25 plus p & p.

May have a go at building a wall unit for them !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

IIRC Model Rail offered the 2006 magazines on a CD ( not all articles though) for 30 odd quid, I don't recall seeing a similar offer for

2007, so presumably not enough sales to justify the production costs. Railway Modeller have offered a CD for several years, I've got a few, not sure if they still use the odd / propietary file formats the early ones used. Still under 20 quid I think. It's always stuck me as odd that the most "old fashioned" of the UK mainstream mags. is the only one to sell CDs.
Reply to
airsmoothed

wrote snip IIRC Model Rail offered the 2006 magazines on a CD ( not all articles though) for 30 odd quid, I don't recall seeing a similar offer for

2007, so presumably not enough sales to justify the production costs. Railway Modeller have offered a CD for several years, I've got a few, not sure if they still use the odd / propietary file formats the early ones used. Still under 20 quid I think. It's always stuck me as odd that the most "old fashioned" of the UK mainstream mags. is the only one to sell CDs.

It was the 2004 issues of Model Rail which were available on a CD-ROM. Every page was included including all the advertisements and I think that it cost around £35 compared with Railway Modeller's CD at about £16. When the 2005 issue became due I phoned eMap and got two different versions of why it wasn't available, the first one being that the 2004 issue had not made sufficient profit. This had been produced for them by Publishing Data Services Ltd and distributed by Atlas Publishing of New Milton both of which no doubt required a slice of the cost.

Later at an exhibition I asked Chris Leigh why they weren't doing it and he said that it was copyright issues! According to him, even his own editorial staff would appreciate the convenience of having back copies on CD but they are not allowed to have it. I suggested that contributors would be unlikely to object and he said that advertisers might.

When I reminded Chris that Railway Modeller has been available on CD since

2002 , he said something about Peco Publications being a much smaller operation than eMap which I cannot see as being relevant.

Railway Modeller 2007 is now available on CD for £16.50 post paid but it exclude advertising and Clubs and Societies pages.

Does anyone know if Hornby Magazine is or will be available on CD?

Reply to
David Westerman