Two positive magazine developments...

Made my annual visit to town this week to get a Dr Who Xmas card for a friend in America. Found Model Rail Journal on the shelf at W.H. Smith for the very first time. Up until now it had only been available to special order (three months minimum).

Later in the day I made a regular shopping trip to Morrison's supermarket (don't ask) and saw Railway Modeller on sale there, again for the very first time. In fact, it's the first hobby magazine of any kind I've seen at Morrison's. Interesting that they should have chosen model railways ahead of all other pastimes?

I think a lot of casual buyers will pick up these magazines out of pure curiosity and be lured into (or back into) the hobby.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Asda & Sainsburys have stocked some model railway magazines for several years.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As like many others I have a job which involves traveling sometimes it is necessary to stop at a M/way service area for what on the big railway is a PNB. Usually like to get something to read and was pleased to find the other day a couple of railway modeling magazines amongst the usual selection of Ruin the look of your Mota with giant plasticard style of titles. I think one was the Railway Modeller which I already had so I bought the other possibly, British Railway Modelling.

G.Harman

Reply to
oldship

That's encouraging because so few traditional newsagents stock modelling magazines these days. It's one of those things people buy on impulse and would rather not commit themselves to a long term subscription.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I don't subscribe because too few of the articles are relevant for me - I don't have time to read through loads of stuff that is not important to me, and if I buy a magazine for which I'd be lucky to read one article in, I do feel that's a waste of money (not to mention paper, etc). So I prefer to keep an eye on when the magazines come out, and then scan them for relevant articles, if there are enough (more than one) in a magazine, then I will probably purchase it. Another problem is that with several publications out there, the articles that are relevant to me are spread between them. I'd rather be free financially to pick and choose the magazines based on their articles, than to subscribe to any one and have to miss out the others.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

But not all branches. Our local Asda stocked RM after a major re-fit, but gave up after a few months.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

And for those of us who model in 0, there's even less! That's not a serious complaint.....

While having a lot of titles is good in one sense, it's bad in another. In my line, Land Rover, there used to be be one magazine, and it there was always enough to make it worth buying (rather like in my previous modelling life where ther was Railway Modeller or the The Other One). Now there are 4 (plus the other 4x4 comics) and I've got sick of reading yet another article about how to overhaul a [insert assembly of choice], to the extent I don't even bother looking at them. To compensate, the mags have started getting all exited about "extreme" this or that, which is of even less interest (the whole point of a Defender being you can get stuck in far more inaccessable places than everyone else in a standard vehicle).

You can go to the other extreme though - I joined the 0 Gauge Guild and their magazine is all about peole having a wonderful meetimg in Guilford (pre-Diesel era of course) - not over interesting either.

Anyone got any comments on the MIGO mag? I'd like to have a look-see as they are next on the list to try.......

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My complaint is that there are far too many 0 kit building articles in Model rail.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Being both a computer ( I used to say 'PC' but that has been hijacked by a group of undesirables ) geek and a model rail fan I have to fight my way through two sets of grown men 'sampling' the two sets of mag's. I have even had to produce a chart to take with me showing which mag's I already have as I occasionally take up to four per month.

In my area W H Smith is the best bet for railway & computer mag's and they sometimes have specials exclusive to them.

My son loves looking at the 'free' DVD's so I tend to buy the mag's with those attached to the front or, in the past, those who offer free DVD's via post but some are now charging =A31.99 p & p ? Another I thought a DVD was 'only' a CD !

I am thinking about taking out a subscription on the HORNBY mag. for about a year but the others I will continue to 'cherry pick'.

In the computer world some mag's appear to be written by some 14 year olds high on E numbers.

The other night I watched a programme about the sales war between the lads mag's NUTS & ZOO. In the final stages it came down to something a 'simple' as a ni$$*e count ....... wonder what he model railway mag. equivalent could be ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Ri**ts ?

Cheers Richard