Frank Dyer - RIP

It was with great sadness that I heard yesterday that Frank Dyer has passed away.

I have admired his modelling from a young age when reading his articles in the MRC in the early 1960's.

More recently, I have had the priviledge to know Frank very well and enjoyed his company frequently. His patient explanation of so many things, both model and prototype is an inspiration to me.

My condolences go to his widow, children and grandchildren.

Tony

Reply to
TonyW

Sad news indeed. Wasn't "Borchester" one of is 1960's layouts? I saw it a Central Hall Westminster around 1965. It used to appear in the Model Railway Constructor.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

If any one person got me into the hobby as a teenager, it was Frank Dyer. I used to buy all sorts of magazines to read on train trips. One day it was MRC(?) and I was impressed by an article on Borchester. I bought subsequent ones, reading about both the layout and the construction of the stock. I remember being particularly fascinated by his Derby Lightweight DMU at the time. So I made the trip to Central Hall Westminster to see his layout and the beautiful stock he had described, as the result of those articles. After which I was hooked.

Thank you, Frank.

And mine. The hobby has lost a great modeller, and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Christopher A. Lee" <

Did you read my post, we just about mentioned the same things?

If you went to Central hall around 1964/5 and saw Borchester, it's possible we were there at the same time. :-)

He'll be sadly missed.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Sad to hear it. Was one of my early idols in the model railway world. Borchester was Always an interesting layout to watch.

Reply to
Bernard Victor

I wondered if any of my other early influences/idols are still around. Rev.Denny 'Buckingham" and P.D.Hancock " Craig and Mertonshire".

I know the latter was still modelling a few years ago before I retired as he occasionally still bought from me.

Reply to
Bernard Victor

Hi Bernard,

Peter Denny is still around though getting on abit! He is the subject of a thread on the 16mm group at the moment.

Anyone know if Cyril Freezer is still in circulation?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

P.D.Hancock is still modelling in Edinburgh but, I believe, in large scale -

16mm or some such. Tom.
Reply to
Tom B

Paul,

I'm pretty sure I saw him at the recent exhibition at Thornbury.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In article , Jim Guthrie writes

Cyril's still going strong and still writing - for the MRC bulletin. My route is through the CMRA web site - look for clubs, find the Model Railway Club and there are summaries of the Bulletin.

Happy reading

Reply to
John Bishop

The "Torlum Hill Light Railway", I think (or something like that). It appeared in RM a few years back, P.D.H. remarking in the article that he had very reluctantly sold his 4mm system due to a lack of indoor space.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher