Meet "Frank". (Contains Actual Model Railroad Content!!)

Short for "Frank N. Steam".
Found an unused Balboa S.P. MK-5 chassis on eBay and bid low figuring
to use it for parts if/when mine broke down. Got it, and it sat
untouched in a box for two years.
Then about six months ago I found an old Westside S.P. Whaleback
tender at a swap meet; exactly the sort that frequently showed up
behind MK-5 Mikados. Bought it thinking I could letter it for the Sud
Pacifico de Mexico and swap railroads with my MK-5 by simply swapping
tenders.
And then just a few weeks ago a virgin (unpainted) Balboa S.P. MK-5
boiler shell showed up on eBay and I got to thinking "Ya know, you
already *have* 2/3 of another locomotive just sitting around..." so I
went ahead and bid.
Had to cast my own lead boiler weight, but I had the original one to
copy so that didn't prove too difficult (the burns have healed
nicely), and after a week or two of fitting the boiler shell to the
chassis (You thought they were mass-produced, and that parts would
automatically interchange? HO-HO! It turns out that "Hand-built" means
they were all slightly different!)
Anyway, herewith the results: Sud Pacifico de Mexico Mikado # 853. The
heaviest class of steam engine that ever ran on the S.P.de M. And
notorious for bending the then 60-pound rail into interesting new
shapes.

She still needs a little weathering on the boiler, but she runs just
fine, and fits onto my 90' turntable with just a scale foot to spare
at both ends.
A serendipitous locomotive.
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
Thenk yew, Wolf! I'm partial to medium-sized steam locomotives with short, fat boilers.
In fact, this is sort of my ideal...
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
Heh. My trackwork has *always* featured "interesting shapes", and when I was primarily modeling logging railroads I told myself that it was prototypical.
Now I just hope everything stays on the rails.
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
Thank you, PV. Scratching and kitbashing structures for the layout is one of my more favorite things to do, but I lack both the tools and the skill to scratchbuild a brass locomotive.
However, right now I'm in the middle of building a line-side propane business yclept "Strickland Propane", and printing out the decals for same.*
*
There's a joke in there somewhere, but if you've never watched "King Of The Hill" it's probably a "whoosh".
Sorry.
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
As usual, Very Nice work!
I'm particularly impressed at how well your work stands up to hi-res digital scrutiny. With or without weathering ...
Reply to
LD
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Well, most of that is Balboa's work and not mine.
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil

Site Timeline