S.P. Light Steam Locomotive Portraits.

These comprise the S.P. steam locomotives that service my switching layout. (And run at the San Diego Museum layout as well.)

From smallest to largest they are:

E-23 4-4-0 American. Fuji/PFM/Japan. Light switching, way freight, and passenger service. Has narrow-tanked vandy tender from unknown Korean maker (cheap ebay find: no box) for good rear vision when switching. Lettered & numbered for the Sud Pacifico de Mexico lines where these small steamers held out the longest.

M-4 2-6-0 "Texas version" Mogul. Fuji/PFM/Japan. Switching, way freight, & light passenger service. Short Vandy tender for getting more cars into switching leads.

M-4 2-6-0 "California version" Mogul. Fuji/PFM/Japan. Way freight, mixed train, and light passenger service. Has a Westside/Korea whalebacked tender for extended range, as this was frequently needed on the Sud Pacifico de Mexico lines.

C-9 2-8-0 Consolodation. Sunset/Korea. Freight and helper service. There's one just like it sitting at the San Bernardino County Museum just ten miles west of my home, but they won't let you climb on it. (Drat!)

TW-8 Twelve-Wheeler. Westside/KTM/Japan. Slow freight, helper, and switching service.

T-28 Ten-Wheeler. Westside/KTM/Japan. Passsenger, mixed train, and occasional helper service. Heaviest S.P. loco on the layout. And, as an engine that's used primarily for passenger work, the cleanest too.

Of course, there's only room for two of these at a time on the layout itself, but having extras allows me to stave off boredom and run different sorts of trains in from the staging tracks...

There are also a few first-generation diesels that do the same jobs as the older steamers, and a few Crestline steam locos that do the actual switching work on the layout, but those are subjects for other posts.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil