Compact Modelling Ideas. (Photo Essay. Long.)

In looking around for interesting ideas for my layout, I've found several in my immediate area (well okay; within 35 miles) that are small enough to fit onto most layounts.

Locally, we first visit the recently abandoned Santa Fe branch line in Redlands CA, where we find a small "grain leg" that was still in use a year ago to offload cargo from grain hoppers and load it onto trucks bound for farms in the area. At only about 20' high and with a footprint about the same length on each side, one of these could be kitbashed from the larger Walthers version in an evening and would fit practically *anywhere*!

Turning 180 degrees, we look west down the now-abandoned team track and find a young Washingtonia palm tree serving as an end-of-track bumper just in case a runaway car jumped the half-buried rotten tie that was originally supposed to stop cars on the circa 2% grade. (I've already modeled this one.)

Still in Redlands, but now west of downtown on the long-gone S.P. branch line, we find a bridge that is a modeler's dream come true: a prototype through-truss bridge that's only about 60' long! This bridge dates *way* back, as it was installed when the S.P. built the Redlands branch in the 1890s, and the bridge was already well-used at that point.(The S.P. removed it from it's original location, presumably to install a heavier one, and shipped the dissassembled bridge to Redland where it was then put back together like an Erector set. Nobody has ever discovered where it was originally located.)

The bridge is so short that the track actually continues it's curve as it crosses the span! All of the wooden parts; ties, walkways, etcetera, are rotten and ready to fall apart (in fact, some already have), so tresspassing beyond the chain-link fence is a *really* bad idea. You could shorten a Central Valley truss bridge down to two bays and get a fairly decent model of this bridge, although the original is much more lightly built and appears almost lacy in comparison with more modern structures.

Next we take a look at a use for that Athearn bay window caboose kit that that you've had lying around unused because you model modern-day stuff. This original sits just 5 miles west of Palm Springs CA, and is still in daily use as the office of an off-road vehicle rental business. It sits only about 100 yards from the then-S.P.-now-U.P. tracks.

The other side. Note the ample A/C unit and white paint, both needed in Psalm Springs during the summer. (And not infrequently during the fall, winter, and spring, as well.)

If you like colorful attention-catching details on your layout, this sign fits the bill...

And lastly (and not so compactly) this rock train loading bin sits right next to the U.P. mainline in Cabazon CA. It loads crushed rock into the overhead bin from a large quarry -that's mostly invisible because it's below ground level- and drops it into the hoppers as they're pushed along underneath. It only takes a couple of minutes to fill a car, so the operation has almost constant movement when loading is underway. The tail end of the spur is used as a RIP track because those rock hoppers get used *HARD*, and several of them are usually parked and awaiting repairs at any given moment. A big old front-end- loader belonging to the quarry usually sits at the end of the spur, serving as both an end-of-track bumper and a means of moving the bad- ordered cars around when there's no loco handy.

Next up: building palm trees for bumpers...

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Is that true A/C or just a swamp cooler?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Nice. If I was the guy with the business across the street, I would be quite relieved that that track isn't used anymore.

About a mile from my office is a very similar bridge across the fox lake - it's a total ruin, but if you're the stupid and/or adventurous type, you can pick your way across the girders (the bridge deck is almost entirely gone) to get across the river. I don't know why I've never taken a picture

- I'll have to snap a couple.

Also along the fox lake here in Illinois is a gigantic system of rock conveyors like that - it runs for miles and miles, and you can hear it for a long distance when it's going.

Cool pictures. *

Reply to
PV

It's a 4' square swamp cooler. (BTW: "Just" a swamp cooler? In a very dry environment such as southern California, an evaporative cooler works just fine, and uses only about 20% of the power sucked up by "true" A/C. The roof-mounted version that cools our entire home is about the same size as the one on that old caboose, so it ought to be

*more* than adequite for a single room that's only about 25' long by 8' wide.)

Where they get the water to run the thing is a mystery, though. Those are real sand dunes in the background of the photo.

It was just a typo, but it made me laugh when I noticed it so I left it in. As for fundies, et all, you can find just about *anything* in Palm Springs and the immediate neighborhood if you care to look. Gay churches sit elbow-to-elbow with right-wing businessmen and everybody pretty much gets along with everyone else. (Having lots of available money seems to grease the wheels of society. It takes a really

*stupid* Fundie businessman to refuse to take money from gay patrons, and smile nicely while he does it.)

In fact, I recently played at a Palm Springs housewarming party for a multi-millionaire gay couple that my wife and I met through our art connections, and I must admit that in 65 years I've never seen

*anything* like it.

Fun, though.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Heh. That building *used* to be the Redlands Police Department, and vandals once released the brakes on a loaded PFE reefer in hopes that it would centerpunch the front desk. ("I'll be *back*! BIGTIME!")

It derailed before it got there though.

We had a long trestle like that just east of town, but what was left of it it burned to the ground in a recent brush fire.

Yeah. When both conveyer systems are dumping rock into the overhead bin and the bin is periodically dumping it into the hoppers waiting below, the Cabazon system sounds like God taking an extended instrumental break on steel drums.

Thanx.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil