Prototype Pics.

Sorry, guys: the giant magnet truck wasn't there today, but I did snap
a few pics of interest.
A U.P. work-train rail cart found sitting by the tracks in Beaumont's
mini-yard.

Somebody who works for the U.P. has a sense of humor!

An old 40' container converted to storage-shed use. Note welded rail
supports that bring it up to tailgate-level.

An even older S.P. Trailer-Train ghost, now used for ground-level
storage.

A hydraulic ballast-tamper in action. Moves forward at a slow walking
pace.

The actual tampers at work: they slip down between the ties and pack
the ballast in place.

This ballast-levelling unit follows the tamper and stirs up a LOT of
dust.

So this water truck follows along spraying everything (including me)
down to combat the dust.
('Sokay: it was 90 degrees out there today...)

Enjoy,
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
Cool photos.
Rail goes in there? From the cradle I was thinking it was for handling containers.
What a crazy machine! *
Reply to
PV
I can't be certain what it's for because I haven't seen it carrying a load, but it's way too small to carry containers...... It's probably only about 15' long at best, and the wheels are about 10" in diameter.
The extendible cradle arms on the sides and the long towing tongue sitting on top say that it's designed for carrying lengths of *something*, anyway...
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
But it says "Express" right on the side!
Great photos, thanks!
Reply to
Lobby Dosser
Also useful as a layout container - assuming it's ok in your neighborhood.
Reply to
Lobby Dosser
Indeed. ;) wolf k.
Reply to
Wolf K
On 17 June, 21:27, Twibil [[Posted some interesting Permenant Way pictures]]
Just for comparison, Here is a picture of a metre-gauge tamper parked at Drei Annen Hohne on the HSB in the Harz mountains. This is where you change for the Brockenbahn.
For background, here is a train in the station:
And here a pair of locomotives watering:
and a side elevation:
Nice system, good fun. Friendly people. Go visit:
bobharvey
[[of tracklaying]]
Here is a video from the Netherlands:
bobharvey