Signs Of The Times.

Adding a few visual "in" jokes to your layout is an idea as old as layouts themselves, but it can still be fun. Herewith a few of mine: one or two are just jokes, some are literary, show-biz, or musical references, a couple are left-handed homages, and one is a comment on a now-retired local vet who was known for his criminal bedside manner with other people's pets.

Hank Hill has a job on my layout.

The original Bowswer Locomotive Works was located in my town (Redlands, CA) and was actually smaller than this.
This one's a "threefur": Larry Niven has written many tales of the Draco Tavern, the Perris Hotel features advertising from Roger Miller's "King of The Road" lyrics, and the blue Jeep belonged to Hayduke in Edward Abbey's "The Monkey Wrench Gang".
A not-so-subtle comment on graffiti.
A scene from "Robocop". I still have to model the van that's crashed into the toxic waste tank.
Yes, in real life the vet's office *is* right next door to El Burrito. The proximity is a local joke.
One that I missed thinking of but a buddy of mine didn't: the scene from Steven Spielberg's "Duel", where the big black semi rig is trying to shove the car ahead of it onto the railroad tracks. (No photo)

Enjoy, ~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

---------------------------

Great! Thanks for sharing.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

vista bill

Cute Pete! Very nice. Thanks for sharing the pics.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

OK - I'm stumped. A Music Man reference? Or Josh is in the tank? No idea, but then my wife's the one who likes musicals. For me they stop with Cabaret and Hedwig - the rest are too sappy.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Harold Hill was the Music Man. Hank Hill is the gas man.

Reply to
LD

Hank Hill, employed at Strickland Propane Co. A cartoon/TV show of long running:

Propane, a by God Texas institution!!

Reply to
The Seabat

Only people who haven't lived in Texas think that "King Of The Hill" is a cartoon: it's actually a documentary.

You simply haven't lived until you've met a real honest-to-gawd Texas- style Boomhauer.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil