Dr. Sandy Frank update

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Powell To: undisclosed-recipients: Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:07 PM
Subject: Sandy Frank - Update
Yo! Good mornin' all. Here is the latest on Sandy's condition and status. He has improved enough to have all of the tubes removed from his body. He has had the second surgery on his right leg and that is healing well, and should be in a cast by the time you receive this. He is no longer on pain killers or sedatives except as requested or occasionally needed. He is over the touch of pneumonia that he had and has been breathing on his own and unassisted for about a week now. The scalp wound is healing well and almost all of the swelling there and over the rest of his body is gone. He is now awake and alert most of the day, and his throat is slowly recovering from the long period of having the breathing and feeding tubes in there. This has allowed him to eat regular food. He is still fairly hoarse for now, but getting better daily. He is still in a bit of a fog from being kept sedated for so long and combined with the severe head bang he got on impact. Basically he is just experiencing a lot of confusion and disorientation as yet, but even that is markedly improved from only a week ago. He is still fitted with the neck brace which is to restrict any movement of his neck until the cracked vertebrae have completely mended. Yesterday, he was relocated from Methodist Hospital to a rehab facility called "The Rehabilitation Hospital of Indianapolis". There he will be undergoing three to four weeks of several different kinds of therapy daily. When his treatment there is finished, he will be released to Out-patient care until he is as good as new. It has been a long and scary road for him thus far, and all of us as well, but the uphill climb has leveled off a lot, and the grade ahead is far less steep than his initial recovery period has been. I feel that while Sandy has been receiving the best care possible, that a goodly portion of his recovery can be attributed to all of the good and well wishes and prayers from all of you. For him, I thank you. I have checked with the hospital and they tell me that he has room now to place flowers, so all that have expressed the desire to send flowers, I reckon that the door is wide open for that now. Before, he was sedated and sleeping except for brief periods when they would rouse him to consciousness. Now, in the rehab center, he will be awake almost all of the daytime, and can enjoy the flowers and cards. He has received several cards from folks and I was assured that Methodist Hospital forward any that continue to arrive there, on over to him. If you care to send him a card or flowers, please send to the following address. c/o Dr. Sandy Frank Room 411 Left Rehabilitation Hospital of Indianapolis 4141 Shore Drive Indianapolis, IN 46254
Thanks again for all of the prayers and well wishes, and please keep 'em coming..
........Chief