Celebrity endorsement...

Cheers Robt P.

Reply to
Robt P

Also to be found in the Telegraph

I wonder if he ever attends any model shows? In fact maybe we could start a thread "I saw at on ". Then again, maybe not.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

In message , Graham Harrison writes

It's also wrong.

It comprises 100 ft of track ...

The Grauniad says it's 9000 ft of track.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I seem to remember some several years ago that Hughie Green (remember him? - "Opportunity Knocks") showed his model railway onTV once. Am almost certain that it was Fleischmann, but - as usual - ready to be corrected.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

In message , Robt P writes

Error number 1: It's not a model of Grand Central Station (a terminus), but it is Grand Street Station (a through station) on his Grand Street and Three Rivers Railroad.

Also, the quote in Model Railroader is "It means more to me to be on the cover of Model Railroader than to be on the cover of a music magazine".

Incidentally, those of you who have access to the December Model Railroader, take a look at picture 7 on page 81. What's that on the platform in the middle of the picture, but a Dapol (ex-Airfix) newspaper stall, complete with W. H. Smith & Son along the top!

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

W.H.Smith are pretty active in the USA, in railroad stations and airports.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

When in my teens W. H. Smith used to sell quite a range of Hornby kit.

Celebrity watch ? I remember a Model Train exhibition many years ago when my younger brother ( about 14 at the time ) and I were having a stroll round and some 'minder' for some American 'has been' Pop singer just pushed my brother out the way ....... big mistake !

These days celebs visit on press days at the big events

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Would they have been active in the USA during the period in which the layout is set?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

He's not lost his PR touch then! ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Celebrity endorsement ?

To be honest a celebrity endorsement is lost on me .... just because a B list celeb says he loves using XYZ does nothing for me. In some ways it puts me off as I, the potential customer, is paying their fee.

The latest thing is celebrity 'own brand' perfume's which I understand are a sales flop.

Funny ad's using celeb's are OK like the old Chinzarno ones with Lennard Rossiter & Joan (The Prop) Collins .... and they work !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Actually, that campaign was a disaster - everyone remember the advert, but not the product.

Agreed about the celebrity endoresment though - does *anyone* actually believe that they aren't only doing it for the money?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Well would you buy Posh Spice rather than Old Spice? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Less plastic in a bottle of Old Spice !

I understand the Lennard Rossiter / Joan Collins ads gave rise to a sales increase of 40% ?

Suggestions for suitable celebs to promote model railway ?

Bit late but mine would be Fred Dibnah

Reply to
Dragon Heart

excellent man for the series he did, but to promote we need high impact - say Angelina Jolie.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Pete Waterman?

Patrick McGoohan? He was in Silver Streak.

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

"Angelina Jolie"

There, I just did.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Rolls off the tongue...

However after bit more thought would suggest the nice Kaplinsky lady interviewing Jules Holland.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Or indeed even how _Cinzano_ is spelt :o )

Director Alan Parker recently revealed he hated those commercials and that the ones people remember the most, he hated the most!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Well remembered. That was 31 years ago!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Er what exactly are you attempting to promote with Angelina Jolie ?

How about Ringo Starr or Michael Angelis ?

The new Hornby TV adds are a bit bland

Reply to
Dragon Heart