45543 Home Guard

Usual excellent close up pics from 'Rails of Sheffield' upon the release of 45543.

Whilst the initial views seem impressive, it's spoilt somewhat by the fitted nameplate being around double the protypical height!

Cheers Robt P.

Reply to
60106

Hi Robert,

Tender is *much* too wide too, which totally spoils the appearance of the Patriot.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Worse than that, the valve gear is a mess. Not a bit like the Black 5 or

8F. This must be a hasty re-issue of this model in loco drive version. The two halves of Hornby don't appear to be talking to each other these days. The new LMS coaches are superb. I wouldn't insult them by putting this 'Patriot' in front of them.

Null punkt.

Alistair W '5522' Models

Reply to
Alistair Wright

"Alistair Wright" wrote

Where did you read that this is loco drive? Got to say I've not checked but I'd put my money on a Ringfield in the tender.

No they're not - they are a significant improvement on the ofl ones for sure, but read my realier critique on the BR liveried ones on this newsgroup. Spolit the job for a ha'p'orth oftar in my opinion.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I would say almost certainly, look at the motion in the photo's and think about it....

V V

See it yet, look at the two photo's of the same side, notice the motion has moved!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"John Turner" wrote in

seems to confirm that it's tender drive.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

The Hornby 2005 catalogue, page 39 definitely states that it is tender drive.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:35:47 -0000, "John Turner" said in :

It might be just me, but the whole thing looks to be well below the current standard as exemplified by the new A3 and others.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

of the Home Guard. They all worked long hours in normal jobs and gave what little spare time they had. Mr Brown was ready with his gun! regards, Steve

Reply to
titans

"60106" wrote Usual excellent close up pics from 'Rails of Sheffield' upon the release of 45543.

Robt P.

Whilst I agree that the pictures are really good, It does highlight that Hornby really do need to put a dab of black paint in the middle of their wheels where the axles show through ! Something I have just noted and never heard anyone comment on before. It really stands out on this model despite the weathering!

Do Rails also list second hand items in the same format on the site? (Never pay them much attention - the shop that is) Seems very odd to describe the condition as "brand new" when its 5h17 up to the eyeballs in Hornby weathering, which is OK and diesels, but never been over enthusiastic on the steamers as it's much harder to do, but better to me than a pristine model.

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

That's because it's basically just a re-issue of a very old model, with just the tender drive uprated with a 5-pole armature rather than the older style

3-pole effort.

With an RRP just a tad below £90 it's another example of gross over-pricing by Hornby in my opinion.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

IIRC Rails auctions its second hand items on eBay using similar pictures. They make it quite clear if a model is in used condition.

(kim)

Reply to
kim